Qualifications for teaching--Taiwan BA degree?


I just graduated from a university here in Taiwan (B.A. in science). I have started my job search but one school today says that a degree obtained from a university in Taiwan is not accepted for applying for a work permit. The program in which I have been is completely in English. It sounds strange to me since all the information I have found states that either:

a degree from any country are accepted as long as it is a four year college is good enough.
or teaching credentials (which I dont have)

I won a scholarship to study here and finally finished my studies. Hope I can continue to live here. I have a US passport so the validity of diploma is the only thing that has me concerned at the moment

Any suggestions/experiences will be greatly appreciated.

I’d say you’d better look for a job in another field more related to your degree. I know people working here on BAs acquiered here in Taiwan, but mostly in business, not teaching. As for you, editing science articles comes to mind.

I’d said it is weird for them to say that you can’t teach with a local university degree, that logic… oh, my fault.

On the other hand, if they start asking about work experinec, as a recent graduate, that is a more reasonable deal breaker.

As to the otehr requisites, teaching credentials would be like a teaching course, that gives a relevant certificate. There are several available, even here in Taiwan.

In any case, it would be nice to drop by the CLA and ask directly which jobs you can or can’t take here and how to do things properly.

Best of luck.

I think the issue is one of

  1. you dont have the 2 years experience required to get a work visa (when I looked into you needed a Bachelors AND 2 years RELEVANT work experience POST graduation [my emphasis])

  2. you can’t teach unless you have the teachers cert UNLESS you teach in buxibans/cram schools

If you BA is a BEd then check how to complete the certification process since you normally need to do 1 semester of assessed teaching practice

A masters is a good way to get around most of the above - the teacher’s college in Shilin (I think) also has a “postgrad certificate of education” (36 teaching course credits)

Saying that, I wouldnt trust an institute that offered a BA in Science instead of a BSc

I think all Taiwanese universities issues BA’s to their undergrads. It’s just formality - even physicians who graduate from medical colleges get a BA in medicine.

Back in Berkeley, if you were a science major matriculated in the School of Letters and Sciences, you receive a B.A., and that includes all science majors but chemistry (chemists have their own college), whether it be physics, molecular and cell bio, mathematics, etc.