Quality of Expats, & Their Comedy in Taiwan

I am fairly new to Taiwan but I have to say, based mostly on the blogs I have read, the posts on this site, and the few I have talked with that many of the visitors to Taiwan are thoughtful and smart people. I have been impressed with the quality of the insights written about in the blogs and that people aren’t just staying at the surface level of this culture… They are searching for a deeper understanding. I understand, there are also the stereotypical asshole foreigners with big ego’s but I have been lucky to stay away from them from them. So I just want to say congratulations and nice to meet you all!

-S

Hey, I’m not a weirdo foreigner, I’m an executive foreigner. Honest, I am.

The smart ones among us stick to the Internet. Never trust a foreigner you meet on the street. They just want to steal your daughter away and take your tax money when they get free treatment for N7N9. :bow:

Never trust a hippy…

He’ll sell you bad drugs…

Oh, yeah, keep it comin!!!

I am always suspicious when people are trying to describe others in terms of quality.
It sounds a little like a consumable product.

I am very low quality since my dad was graded only B3 or something like that during WW2.

Yeah! You are the master!
Keep approving/disapproving!

I am going to the butcher now and purchase some high quality meat.

Isn’t the stereotype that Asia is awash in low-grade foreigners that couldn’t hack it in their home countries? Don’t mistake opinionated, articulate, and outspoken for “smart” :wink:

Like the stereotype that Asian students in Britain, my country, are the thick kids who have to buy a foreign degree because they only get into third rate schools back home?

It’s not the 90s anymore. The pay and conditions in Taiwan are very poor for many foreigners in Taiwan. It’s hardly a boomtown.

Wait, isn’t the stereotype nerds like me get to see their first naked woman in Asia because the local ladies even accept our kin here?
[Okay wife, you can put your clothes back on. Thank you.]

[quote=“bob_honest”]Wait, isn’t the stereotype nerds like me get to see their first naked woman in Asia because the local ladies even accept our kin here?
[Okay wife, you can put your clothes back on. Thank you.][/quote]
:smiley:

It’s funny because it’s true.

Taipei, is like anywhere else, you get all kinds of different people. I think foreigners here are held to a higher standard because the vast majority are college educated and all of us had enough wherewithal to pack up and move shop.

There are far and away a higher percentage of degenerates at home (especially if you are from the UK, my fuck what is this all about: macleans.ca/article.jsp?cont … 150_106150).

The trouble lies with our measuring system of ‘quality’, because it is antiquated. Here are some examples:

-expats who are working for foreign firms are now a much more valuable commodity to their company than in the past. They no longer hide ‘Kooky Larry’ over in Asia, Asia is the hub of production and more talented people come here.

-people who own their own companies are much more savvy and knowledgeable than in the past. Its a much more competitive landscape than 20 years ago.

-anyone who can stick around with a Taiwanese company long enough and not want to kill someone is a special human.

-teachers are paid shittier (so it isn’t a place for morons to get ‘rich’), teaching jobs are harder to get (thins the 'tard herd), and more travel savvy people wash up on shore, fewer and fewer people can say Taiwan is their first stop overseas.

-people stick around (they become more culturally sensitive and get a better world view).

The trouble is we hold everybody to the standard of the people we like most from back home and that is unfair. You didn’t hang out with your whole town back home, you had a crew, and to think everyone in Taiwan will be like-minded is BS.

There are a lot of quality foreigners in Taiwan, talented people, sure there are poseurs too, but they exist everywhere. Only maladjusted sociopaths shit on expats and teachers in the year 2013.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]Taipei, is like anywhere else, you get all kinds of different people. I think foreigners here are held to a higher standard because the vast majority are college educated and all of us had enough wherewithal to pack up and move shop.

There are far and away a higher percentage of degenerates at home (especially if you are from the UK, my fuck what is this all about: macleans.ca/article.jsp?cont … 150_106150).

The trouble lies with our measuring system of ‘quality’, because it is antiquated. Here are some examples:

-expats who are working for foreign firms are now a much more valuable commodity to their company than in the past. They no longer hide ‘Kooky Larry’ over in Asia, Asia is the hub of production and more talented people come here.

-people who own their own companies are much more savvy and knowledgeable than in the past. Its a much more competitive landscape than 20 years ago.

-anyone who can stick around with a Taiwanese company long enough and not want to kill someone is a special human.

-teachers are paid shittier (so it isn’t a place for morons to get ‘rich’), teaching jobs are harder to get (thins the 'tard herd), and more travel savvy people wash up on shore, fewer and fewer people can say Taiwan is their first stop overseas.

-people stick around (they become more culturally sensitive and get a better world view).

The trouble is we hold everybody to the standard of the people we like most from back home and that is unfair. You didn’t hang out with your whole town back home, you had a crew, and to think everyone in Taiwan will be like-minded is BS.

There are a lot of quality foreigners in Taiwan, talented people, sure there are poseurs too, but they exist everywhere. Only maladjusted sociopaths shit on expats and teachers in the year 2013.[/quote]

:bravo:

Very reasonable perspective.

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“bob_honest”]Wait, isn’t the stereotype nerds like me get to see their first naked woman in Asia because the local ladies even accept our kin here?

It’s funny because it’s true.[/quote]

Well, what about those paid-for lasses. Does seeing them back home count? I mean, without binoculars.

With the current economic climate around the world, I am a foreigner teaching in Taiwan, I have met some expats, Canadians etc and they all love it here. They do not want to go back to their homeland due to the low cost of living here. I send 70-75% of my income back to my wife in Mexico so the kids school is paid for, car and other things. I have zero, repeat, zero expenses, other than my electric bill every other month. Can anyone say that back in the states? Unless they are living with their parents, the answer is no. I get paid a decent salary, compared to other teachers and native Taiwanese. Actually, probably a little lower than other teachers here. Taiwan has a great business climate, zero crime, no pollution, friendly people (if you don’t mind the staring). Traveling around the island via MRT, bus is extremely cheap compared to the states where you need a vehicle. I am going back to Mexico in the summer to work as a teacher over there and to be back with my kids, but if I were a single guy, I would definitely look to staying here a lot longer. Can you get rich? No, but you don’t look to get rich if you want to become a teacher. But, you can save at least $500 U.S. a month, and that’s probably on the low end.
One of my friends is from Chicago, and he is here for the long term. He is single guy, middle 30s, no ties to the US other than his mom. When you compare what we have here, with what we do, there is no way we can have the same quality of life in the states as we do in Taiwan.

What about rent, eating, and transportation? And you don’t do anything for entertainment?

Hmmm… yeah, Sstyles15, if I may call you that. Could we just run some tests here. Nobody gets hurt, it’s quick and so let’s get over with it.
Just answer a few little questions, nothing to worry about.

1. If you stick and object into your arm, say a long needle - do you feel any pain?

2. Did you notice people disappearing in your neighborhood?

3. Do you feel the urge to bite people? Say when it’s dark?

4. Do you have the urge to ingest strange things… say … blood?

5. When you travel, do you do that preferably at night? And do you see things from … above? Rather than street level? Do you feel as if you were a small animal sometimes? Say… a bird… or … a bat?

Please answer truthfully.
Thank you.

Yours,

Bob H.
Paranormal investigator.

No national health insurance? Transportation? You posted this comment online, so you must have to pay for internet somehow, whether it be included in your rent or not.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]-teachers are paid shittier (so it isn’t a place for morons to get ‘rich’)[/quote]I don’t think this is valid. Even though teaching jobs pay less than they used to, for a degenerate moron without any future teaching is still a better opportunity than shelf stacking.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]teaching jobs are harder to get (thins the 'tard herd)[/quote]I still don’t think the job market is that tough. I had the unfortunate chance of meeting another foreigner who had been in trouble with the police within days of arriving in Taiwan, who was an alcoholic and reeked like he hadn’t showered for weeks, and STILL managed to find a teaching job within days of arriving. If I ran a business, I wouldn’t hire that guy if somebody held a gun to my head.

[quote=“bumclouds”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]-teachers are paid shittier (so it isn’t a place for morons to get ‘rich’)[/quote]I don’t think this is valid. Even though teaching jobs pay less than they used to, for a degenerate moron without any future teaching is still a better opportunity than shelf stacking.

Maybe you are right, its been over a decade since I taught, just going on hearsay.

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“bob_honest”]Wait, isn’t the stereotype nerds like me get to see their first naked woman in Asia because the local ladies even accept our kin here?

It’s funny because it’s true.[/quote]

That’s the only kind of expat I know.