😷 COVID - Covid Quarantine Regulations

With that reasoning, everybody, everywhere should be isolating and not interacting with anyone. It’s for their own good.

2 Likes

Exactly, for the people with higher risks, like visitors or the people who had contact with a patient. Also this won’t effect the society too much, because it’s for the people with higher risks, like visitors and the people who had contact with a patient.

On twitter somebody posted that the way the PCR test during quarantine was done meant that her and her husband could take the same taxi to a hospital, sit there for three hours while waiting for a 15 second test and then take the same taxi back again to the hotel where they could not they in the same room. That would be huge penalty. But sharing the taxi and sitting next each other in a hospital is fine.

As with the other restrictions this quarantine system is setup without much thinking on what actually works.

8 Likes

The authorities fail to understand the concept of a family.

That is both incredibly stupid and a good summary of the justifications for most Covid restrictions throughout the world.

3 Likes

More faint signs that don’t mean much; this is more in the category of “OK, another day with nothing new”, rather than a development. Plus I don’t see what sway a mayor has over border policies.

Chen Shizhong said today (24th) that although two doses of vaccine have been completely vaccinated, the protection is not 100%. There is still a 5% to 20% chance of infection. The command center will carefully define what is complete protection and whether there is any risk after entry. .

1 Like

I could also say “In that case, nobody should ever be isolated and not interacting with anyone and let the nature do it’s course.” To your surprise, that’s actually unexpectedly unhelpful in this situation.

Trying to have a conversation here.

Please elaborate. Is it the quarantine part that stupid, which means there should never been a quarantine? Or, the qualifications that’s stupid, which means you don’t think those people are at high risks? Or, the combination that’s stupid, cuz people of higher risks shouldn’t be quarantined? Or, it’s the operation that’s stupid, because you just don’t care enough or because you don’t think it’s possible? We’ve got several imported cases everyday. If all that’s been traveled together would inevitably catch the virus, the number would be way larger than this, wouldn’t it?

How would they know someone is fully vaccinated? The US hands out a piece of cardboard with hand-written information on it. That doesn’t begin to pass Taiwan’s bureaucratic, “everything presented to us must be an original plus a copy notarized by 10 people in 12 different departments” process.

Oh, that’s easy - just check their NHI card. No need to bother accepting vaccinations outside Taiwan, right? :man_shrugging:

That is a very valid reason if Taiwan‘s goal is to be COVID free. With regular local infections, I don’t see what a 100% tight quarantine system will bring as an added benefit compared to the effort and toll on the people. The more local cases, the less important quarantine becomes!

All ARC holders can have the hotel fee refunded up to a specific price? What is the rule? On my embassy website it says I have to pay the hotel for the 2 weeks.

nevermind: just read about the 1000 per night.

2 Likes

But only for APRC holders, right? Or did they change the rules?

I guess so yes.

ARC (resident visa) holders are included.

Do we have a recent thread about this?

My knowledge (from last year) is that there are two types of “quarantine compensation”:

1. NT$ 1000 per night (paid directly to the person; limited to once during the pandemic (???)) if one is unable to work during quarantine. So no money for people who can still work remotely from quarantine
  2. NT$ 1000 (?) per night (paid directly to the hotel; limited to once during the pandemic (???)) for Taiwanese Citizens and APRC holders who are Taipei residents.

But might be outdated by now?

1 Like

My post is about this.

APRC holders can be residents of anywhere.

Local governments may have their own programs, like Taipei does.

No change of policy in sight (except for athletes returning from the Tokyo Games)

Taiwan cannot afford relaxed border rules in the face of menacing new COVID-19 variants, Chen added. The country has yet to implement a vaccine passport policy, as the issue involves taking into account international practices and the right to freedom of movement.

I suspect it’s increasingly unlikely the vaccinated are going to get any kind of quarantine exemption. It’s looking more and more like vaccination doesn’t make much difference for transmission of the Delta variant once you’ve got it (although vaccination continues to make a big difference for how sick you get). If that’s true - research still ongoing and provisional, as is basically always the case with this damn thing - then it’d make sense for equal quarantine regulations to apply for all.

New research showed that vaccinated people infected with the Delta variant carry tremendous amounts of the virus in the nose and throat, she said in an email responding to questions from The New York Times.

The finding contradicts what scientists had observed in vaccinated people infected with previous versions of the virus, who mostly seemed incapable of infecting others.

That conclusion dealt Americans [not just Americans, darn it!] a heavy blow: People with so-called breakthrough infections — cases that occur despite full vaccination — of the Delta variant may be just as contagious as unvaccinated people, even if they have no symptoms.

2 Likes

Ah yes, Taiwan once again giving exemptions to people who should not, under any circumstance, skip quarantine compared to the general population.

How many outbreaks have there been in the Olympic village now? Vs. The average vaccinated traveler’s likely exposure, i mean. As I’ve said many times before, it’s not the law itself but rather the ridiculous implementation/enforcement of it. Pilots? Tons of opportunity for exposure, virtually no quarantine. Everyone in the hotels, airport, quarantine taxis, exposed to travelers coming back from abroad constantly? No quarantine. Medical workers? No quarantine. Olympic athletes, literally returning from the ultimate land of “there will be a new variant”? No/limited quarantine. But the average already fully vaccinated traveler? 2 week prison sentence for you!

5 Likes

That’s me!

1 Like