Queermosa

LGBT Film Festival celebrates ‘Queermosa’
LGBT Film Festival celebrates ‘Queermosa’

By Chris Chang ,The China Post
October 12, 2016, 12:16 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan – The first LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) Film Festival in Taiwan — the Taiwan International Queer Film Festival (TIQFF, 台灣國際酷兒影展) — has another first in the making. Returning for its third year, from Oct. 22 to Oct. 30 in Taipei, the festival consists this year not only of film screenings and panel discussions, but, for the first time, will also include the Queermosa Awards (酷摩沙獎). The awards celebrate individuals who have contributed to the LGBT community and their work.

Nominees for the Queermosa Awards include public figures, pioneers, entrepreneurs, enterprises, celebrities and artists who have played a significant role in shaping contemporary LGBT culture or have contributed to advancing LGBT rights. The awards also celebrate Asian short films, Chinese-language TV series and journalistic works that depict LGBT people and their stories fairly, accurately and comprehensively. The first Queermosa Awards will further highlight social participation and public knowledge, in addition to high-quality entertainment.
“I know so many talented LGBT friends who don’t get the respect they deserve, at work or at home. I hope that with however little power I have, I can use my platform to raise awareness of the challenges they face and to shine some light on their stories,” said Ella (陳嘉樺), a member of the singing trio S.H.E. and a 2016 TIQFF Ambassador.
Featuring performances by popular singers Ailing Tai (戴愛玲), Eve Ai (艾怡良) and gay singer-songwriter HUSH, the award ceremony will take place at W Taipei on Oct. 28, on the eve of the Taipei LGBT Pride Parade (台灣同志遊行), the largest Pride event in Asia.