Question about Alternate Service education requirements


Greetings everyone. I was born in Taiwan, but was raised and have been living in Canada for the past two decades.

My family and I have always kept in touch with our relatives back in Taiwan. I am expected to return to fulfill my military service obligations … and I have to admit that I am curious about the experience.

I have earned a Diploma from an accredited Canadian academic institute that relates to police studies & criminology after finishing the 2-year program. Would the relevant Ministry accept it for me to serve in the Alternative Services? Or do they require a bachelor’s degree?

Unfortunately, I am not fluent in Mandarin … and have been unable to find sources to answer my question. Any help would be much appreciated.


@Andrew0409 is going through a similar process now and can maybe shed some light.

To my knowledge, they bring your outside credentials into consideration after your entrance exam. So, make sure you score well on your entrance exam to be placed in alternative services.

A friend who went through the process about 3-4 years ago claims that the exam is only in Chinese. He enrolled in mandarin classes at NTNU (Shi Da) before getting his enrollment letter and stated that he wanted to score well on the exam in order to be placed in a good alternative service.

Since he went to an intl high school and also had a BS from a university in the states, he got placed in Jia Yi to teach English to underprivileged kids.

Best you clarify if you can take the test in English or if you even have to take a test anymore through enrollment since policies tend to change every other month.

Hope that was helpful, good luck!


So i’m guessing you have duel citizenship? And if so, do you plan on living in Taiwan for the foreseeable future?

From what i’m told it’s a longer service time. So you may want to consider regular service and get it over with if you do plan on doing it.


The qualification specifies a bachelor’s degree. Although a college (專科) here in Taiwan is more similar to a accredited institute.

Since you are not fluent in Mandarin, that makes it impossible to pass any related certificate exams. Make sure they know you are fluent in English and there’s a good chance you’ll get assigned to teach English.