question about buying something from china to taiwan

I’m buying kitchen machine worth about $200-400 shipped from china to taipei port, does anyone know if i have to pay taxes and/or customs fees to pick up from taipei port? and if so how much approximately?
thanks

Theoretically yes. Import duties depend on the product (if you provide more details, I can give you more info) and you will have to pay 5% VAT. Taxes go on top of landing cost, which is the cost of the product plus shipping to Taiwan.

I say “theoretically” because customs do not stop all shipments, especially if they are addressed to an individual as opposed to a company.

1 Like

I’m buying a shawarma machine worth $194 off alibaba from a seller in Guangzhou, I live in Dazhi near neihu. What’s the most cost efficient way to obtain it?
Thanks

1 Like

if you use taobao they deliver it to your address in taiwan, id guess alibaba should have the same. there should be shipping companies on the site

I suspect that falls under product category “Other ovens; cookers, cooking plates, boiling rings, grillers and roasters”, in which case the customs duty is 5% in addition to the 5% VAT. This is relatively low, just pay it and things will be fine.

I am more worried about your other expenses in Taiwan if you have it shipped to Taipei port. Unless you want to show up at the port to do clearance yourself, you need to find a customs agent and someone to ship the equipment to you in Neihu.

In some cases DHL ends up being cheaper because they do customs clearance for you and ship to your home/company.

Custom clearance when done by yourself will take about halve a day, and some run around. Custom agent is easier but at a cost. Domestic transport and clearance can cost around 8000 NT$

1 Like

IMG_2402

Here are the specs, model gb-950

They quoted me $250 shipped to my home, does that mean it includes all vats and customs fees?

You’ll have to check with them if it covers VAT and import tax, but at least it would cover agent fees for customs clearance and inland transport in Taiwan.

So, how did things work out? Did you get the machine and what was the final cost?

1 Like