Question about Canada emigration

Heya! My name is Naiyeli. I stumbled across this forum while searching for information about emigrating to Canada. Seems awhile ago there were quite a few topics on the subject. I’ve been told many different things about Canada immigration. Some tell me it’s hard, others seem to say they accept pretty much anything that breaths.

Why move to Canada? I’m a US citizen…and I can’t sponsor my loved one from a foreign country because she is the same gender I am…US does not see our relationship as valid.

I’m 24 years old, have a BA in psychology and have been working as a store manager for a year. I’m fluent in English and have basic proficiency in French. She has family in Canada, however it seems they do not allow direct family sponsorship unless they are the only family member residing in Canada.

What is your advice? I was told that they tightened security. Does this make it harder for me to get in?

Hi Naiyeli, try this website for information on immigrating to Canada: immigration.ca/permres-mnu.asp

You can also visit the Canadian gov’t own website: cic.gc.ca/

AFAIK, one can only sponsor family if the foreign family member is a parent, a child, or a spouse. Siblings cannot sponsor each other. There’s no rule on needing to be the only family member in Canada. Once your loved one has landed immigrant status in Canada, she can then sponsor you to come to Canada as a fiancee or spouse, which ever one applies.

You can also immigrate to Canada yourself if you can find a job in Canada that’s classified as Skill Type 0 (managerial), Skill Level A (professional), or Skill Level B (skilled trades or technicians) on the National Occupational Classification List. You can find the fairly extensive list here: cic.gc.ca/english/work/noc.asp

Another route is to start a business in Canada but that requires a minimum amount of money (not small) to get started.

As a university graduate, you can also apply to study in Canada in a graduate program (master/doctorate) and be able to live in Canada on a student visa. It’s easier to find a job this way since you’ll be in the country full time and will get to meet people and make contacts. Note, however, that this is not a cheap option as you’ll be on the hook for full tuition and living expenses. However, international students are allowed to work part-time without the need to get a work visa so you can always support yourself that way. Your professor may also decide to give you a position as a research/teaching assistant to help you financially.

problem is money is a serious issue…I’m working 6 days a week at minimum wage…so it would take me YEARS to come up with that money…is getting a skilled worker application accepted that hard?

Also, you’re saying if I could get transfered as a manager to EB games I may gain residence?

If you take a look at the link of approved jobs, you’ll find that it does include “Services Managers” and “Retail Trade Manager”. So you may very well qualify being a manager of a retail store. There are EB Games stores all across Canada.

You can also try looking for a job that’s related to your area of study. Try looking at www.monster.ca for a wide range of jobs that’s suitable for someone with a BA in psychology. You can also leverage your experience as a retail store manager and try to find something in sales or marketing. Having basic proficiency in French does help if you’re looking for a job in eastern Ontario.

If you’re not picky about where in Canada you want to live, there certainly are jobs to be had that pays quite a bit better than minimum wage.

BTW, tightened security does not mean it is harder to immigrate. It does mean it is harder to sneak into the country with explosives in your carry on luggage.

so you think with what I have I stand a pretty good chance? Her and I don’t plan on going there for another two years, so I’ll have two more years of work experience under my belt at that time…plus her 2 years of college.

I’m saying that you have a decent shot at immigrating to Canada. But if it were me, I’d verify this with either an immigration lawyer or a phone call with a Canadian immigration official.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the immigration process takes a long time. Even a Canadian citizen sponsoring a spouse to come to Canada can take upwards of 1 year to 16 months. Therefore, I’d recommend that you start the process of educating yourself now through the gov’t websites and talking with an immigration lawyer or official. Familiarize yourself with the paperwork and the documentation that’s necessary.