Question about Mandarin studies visa

I’m from Bulgaria and I have the opportunity to enroll and study Mandarin for at least 1 year. I’m wondering if I can come to Taiwan on visa-exempt for a couple of months, to catch up with my friends I made from previous visits, and then get my student visa from a ROC embassy in a nearby country, so that I won’t have to go all the way back to Europe? There’s no ROC embassy or consulate in my country and I don’t really know where to ask. Also, if anyone did something similar, I’ll be very grateful to hear how it went

TECO for your country is in Greece.

I think you can get a visa in HK or else, but you may need to get some documents issued in your country authenticated by the TECO in Greece.