Question about Taiwanese support for Trump (from a non-Trump supporter)

It sounds more like shortsightedness to me. The US won’t be of any assistance to Taiwan if it remains divided and stagnant.

1 Like

So it’s a political disagreement. I’m just surprised by your surprise at their perspective I guess. From where I stand, your perspective and their perspective both make perfect sense.

1 Like

I’m surprised that almost all news media, regardless of green or blue, in Taiwan pivoted hard towards the GOP talking points last year, and how that managed to change minds in just 1 years, enough to cause them to be so belligerent to people they know in real life.

1 Like

None of this is surprising to me at all, although obviously the belligerence is counterproductive.

1 Like

Just a couple of days ago, the same people were posting how Taiwan’s representative in the US weren’t invited to Biden’s inauguration. Saying how it’s proof that China owns Biden and how Trump’s inability to overturn the election result was the end for Taiwan.

When in reality, Siau Bi-khîm became the first Taiwan representative to be officially invited to a presidential inauguration since 1979.

Also, Trump didn’t invite Taiwan’s representative to his inauguration, but I guess who cares about what’s true and what’s not these days…

3 Likes

I appreciate knowing I’m not the only one who has to deal with a Taiwanese person getting red in the face and telling you to shut up if you so much as even look like you’re about to raise even minor points regarding a catalogue of proven and public racism, support for right-wing extremists and terrorists, corruption, strongly anti-democratic tendencies and sexual abuse.

I have to admit I’ve come away from all this more than a little disappointed by a large number of Taiwanese people now that I’ve been living here a good few years. But then again, the past five years (and as a Brit, I’ve also had to deal with Brexit) have done little to reassure me of the intelligence and empathy of a significantly large chunk of humanity in general.

3 Likes

It’s nice to see that you’re gaining a deeper understanding of Taiwan. Don’t feel bad. That’s a good thing.

2 Likes

My wife is hardcore pro-Trump. She won’t say but I suspect she thinks the election was stolen. I’m glad to see the last of that jackass.

Unless he really gets impeached, you better knock on wood.

That is why Leftist ideology is detrimental to Taiwan’s national security. Leftist agendas and social experiments cause division in US and degrade US national strength.

Leftists have a thousand competing agenda spread all over the world, and eventually, as of 2020, they found the magic pill : race-struggle. Great! Race-Struggle coincides nicely with the Chinese Communist ideology. They too are seeking to address the grievances against the Whites.

Just like the Lefts claim that the “system is oppressive”, the Chinese Communist also complain the system is oppressive to them. How about the predominately white countries like US stop interfering with the Chinese people from taking what’s rightfully theirs? To the Chinese, taking back Taiwan is Racial Justice. If you oppose China’s taking Taiwan, you are racist.

Therefore I’ve shown you, in terms of Taiwan’s national security, it’s a stupid strategy to align with the Left even for convenience and expediency.

1 Like

So apparently, it seems you’re saying, racism is a left-wing invention.

I’m going to just ignore you from now on.

Race struggle is nothing new, and if anyone started it, it was the European colonials who decided they can treat people like property. We are all living in the result of that injustice.

Race struggle will not end until those who believe they are superior to others, and by the virtue of their ethnicity are entitled to deserve status and control over others, no longer have enough sway to overthrow democratic processes by force.

In fact, China is watching how the US responds to these supremacists. If the US sets an example that a minority of supremacists can get their by the threat of force and manipulating the political system, then China is given the green light and can feel justified when they proclaim their own supremacy by exerting force on neighboring nations.

You can’t be serious. Slavery wasn’t invented by Europeans. Even just going back to Medieval times.

Actually, and without wanting to get TOO off topic, it goes all the way back to cro magnons versus neanderthals. And probably long before that too, as an evolutionary imperative. Racism between different ethnic groups has also, to my understanding, been just as prevalent in Asian history as anywhere else with or without the intervention of caucasians.

1 Like

Perhaps the lesson here is not to be so presumptuous as to assume that the issues you care about are prioritized similarly by other people, and to prod them about it.

Like I said before, some Taiwanese people clearly liked Trump because they felt his policies vis-a-vis China and Taiwan were aligned with their interests. Humans are good at rationalizing and therefore capable of compromising on issues they deem less important to their own personal interests.

As an example, earlier in my life I spent a year traveling throughout East Africa and became curious about how the large Muslim population there rationalized the fact that Arabs were historically the dominant slave traders in East Africa.

What I was told: East Africans obviously were not happy about slavery but Muslim East Africans are grateful that the Arabs brought the word of god to them.

Might not be the most convincing rationalization to me, but who am I to judge it? If you’re a Muslim in East Africa, your religion is more important to you than the sordid way it arrived.

1 Like

I didn’t say invented, I said started. China certainly had slaves way before the Medieval times. Britain only had indentured servitude by the time they began colonizing the world. They had to invent a justification to take over existing slave trade and turn it into a global industry.

1 Like

It’s really shocking how many people talk about slavery but clearly haven’t even done so much as Google the history of it.

http://ldhi.library.cofc.edu/exhibits/show/africanpassageslowcountryadapt/introductionatlanticworld/slaverybeforetrade

I didn’t know people like these actually existed lol.

1 Like

National security and geopolitics have nothing to do with racism, especially the particular kind of racism the neo-Left is fixated on, namely White vs. Black.

As an example, the Left runs out of argument when previously “colonized” people such as Taiwan align with former colonizer “Japan”; when previously colonized people such as Chinese align with former colonizer “Russia.”

I’m going to be blunt and offensive again. Really, the Western Left ideology in its current form is a fascination about darker-skinned people. That’s all there is to it. But the reality of National Security doesn’t care and never cares about skin color.

I really think that this fascination of racism is a counterproductive exercise and only undermines yourself (your own country). It’s entertainment for a juvenile mind. It’s potent if you want to export it to undermine your rival country.

1 Like

Well, Europeans obviously didn’t invent that either. Rationalizations for slavery have existed as long as the institution has existed. We can probably agree that the Europeans were very good at it though.

2 Likes