Question for forumosa teachers o' english

From date of application to date you began training/teaching-- how many weeks/months did it take, a) at chain schools, and b) at smaller buxiban?

I’m not sure I really understand the question but here is what i remember from last year at a mid sized buxiban (but somewhat small school - maybe 25 total classes). I don’t remember exactly but I do remember that it was almost exactly a month between the verbal job offer/my verbal agreement and my ARC arriving (and all of the paperwork being completed).

submitted application
interviewed the next week
demo’d at the end of the same week
started training the next week
maybe 2 weeks weeks of training (observation and taped teacher workshops) before I started teaching a few classes
got my ARC a week or so after my first class

Thanks! I wanted to get an idea of how long it’d take for someone to get a job at different kinds of schools, basically. And lord! That is less time than I’d expected. Heard Hess’s application process is something like half a year.

a)one day
b) one second

It depends on them having a job opening. And from the sound of it you’re overseas so I would expect there to be a queue and fewer jobs available online.

Hess hired me and had me there for training within a month or two. BUT DEAR GOD DON’T SIGN WITH THOSE @$$%^&^%S!!!
Every other job I"ve gotten has been within 2 weeks of applying.
I say save up 2000 US, come here, negotiate your own contract/working hours.

It depends on them having a job opening. And from the sound of it you’re overseas so I would expect there to be a queue and fewer jobs available online.[/quote]

Actually, I’m in Tainan now, taking part-time classes at NCKU. My problem is that I’m actually Asian (though an American-passport-wielding Asian!), so to most of these schools I don’t look like I can speak English.

[quote=“daoni”]

Actually, I’m in Tainan now, taking part-time classes at NCKU. My problem is that I’m actually Asian (though an American-passport-wielding Asian!), so to most of these schools I don’t look like I can speak English.[/quote]

It’s probably has less to do with what they think you’re language ability is but rather how marketable you are to parents. And parents make the decision about whether or not their kid enrolls at a school (and that equals dollars in the end). So you’re at an unfortunate disadvantage.