Question on "to me" and "for me"

The other day, one of my Senior High students asked me what the difference is between “for me” and “to me” when used on the end of a sentence with a gerund as the subject. I’m ashamed to say it stumped me.

I understand that on the beginning, they’re pretty much interchangeable. However, on the end they tend to change the meaning of the sentence. IE:

1. Playing computer games is interesting to me.
  2. Playing computer games is interesting for me.

Is there some kind of rule for the use between these two?

Yes, only use sentence 2 in Asia.

‘for me’, when not meaning ‘for my benefit’ is short for ‘as for me’. If ‘as for me’ would sound wrong, you’re looking for ‘to me’.

Being surrounded by Chinglish really does make your English terrible though, so I don’t blame you for getting it mixed up.

Helpful, that. :smiley:

The problem my senior high kids is having is when it’s on the end. Their test today (the test they would be having at school) wanted them to use this sentence: “Listening to music is interesting for her.” I know the difference between “…to me” and “…for me” is very subtle, but they desperately need a rule for know which to use on the end of a sentence.

…you know, come to think of it, going with superking’s suggestion is probably the safest route for them.

Helpful, that. :smiley:

The problem my senior high kids is having is when it’s on the end. Their test today (the test they would be having at school) wanted them to use this sentence: “Listening to music is interesting for her.” I know the difference between “…to me” and “…for me” is very subtle, but they desperately need a rule for know which to use on the end of a sentence.

…you know, come to think of it, going with superking’s suggestion is probably the safest route for them.[/quote]

As a rule of thumb, if you don’t need to know it to speak fluent English, they don’t need to know it to speak fluent English.

Anyway, here’s a difference.

“Music is interesting [according] to me.” The last prepositional phrase just highlights that, if we consulted her as an authority, her position would be that music is interesting.
“Music is interesting for me.” This is ambiguous. It could mean that music is interesting in the service of her, or it could mean that music is interesting in consideration of her. However, the latter is more often phrased “as for.”

This looks boring to me. My opinion!
This is too boring for me. My personal use/benefit.

This shirt is for me.
That’s the right car for me.

That medicine seams good to me. I think the medicine is alright. Opinion about the (Noun) in general.
That medicine seams to be good for me. I can use that medicine. Opinion towards my personal use.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.