Questions about fiancee visa for uk

As the title following on from a previous thread I’m looking into marrying my Taiwanese G/F in the uk.

I’m read all the qualifying criteria and it all seems ok apart from a couple of points.

The accommodation side is fine my mum can put us accommodate us initially and will be fine supplying us with a document to say as much.

My slight worry is because we are both travelling at the moment and as such I won’t have a job on my arrival back into the UK. Now what sort of money figure in my bank are the UK immigration likely to consider enough to support ourselves with no help from the state.

Considering we will be able to live rent free and I obviously plan on getting a job on arrival.

Also we are planning on applying for this visa in Taipei, what sort of waiting times should we expect it says 5 working days , this seems abit a to quick anyone have any first hand experience of this ?

Any help would be great just to ease my mind

Many thanks

I’d think you’re taking a bit complicated route though…

Now the Taiwan visa application is issued by the British Embassy in Manila, not BTCO.
Summer is typically the high season for student visa applications; therefore
I don’t see it’s likely to be done in 5 working days; 2 weeks perhaps!

You can read the processing time on vfs taiwan website for reference.
vfs-uk-tw.com/Processing.aspx

[quote=“I am a City Girl”]I’d think you’re taking a bit complicated route though…

Now the Taiwan visa application is issued by the British Embassy in Manila, not BTCO.
Summer is typically the high season for student visa applications; therefore
I don’t see it’s likely to be done in 5 working days; 2 weeks perhaps!

You can read the processing time on vfs taiwan website for reference.
vfs-uk-tw.com/Processing.aspx[/quote]

thanks for that city girl , seen that link before thats where it says 5 working days , I did think that was optimistic :lick:

I don’t get it…
I thought your wife to be was going to apply the spouse visa in Taiwan though…then she is entitled to live and work in the UK legally for two years.After that, she can apply PR.

With fiancee visa, she is not allowed to work during her stay and has to apply the extension after you two get married, meaning you have to pay more to the British gov. and the visa processing time in the UK…well…you know…

[quote]How do I qualify to join my fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner in the UK?
You must show that:

you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months)
you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership
you have met each other before
there is somewhere for you and your dependants to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds,
you and your dependants can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds,
your fiancé(e) is not under 21, and
you are not under 21 at the date of arrival in the UK.

You will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months but without permission to work. When you are married or have registered a civil partnership, you can apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to your visa. When you do this you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee and provide certain documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form FLR (M) and guidance notes. If your application is granted you will be allowed to work. Before the end of your probationary two years Further Leave to Remain (FLR) you will need to apply to the UK Border Agency for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. When you do this you will be required to pay a further non-refundable fee and provide more documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form SET (M) and guidance notes. Before we can give you permission to stay in the UK permanently, you will need to pass the ‘Life in the UK’ test.
source:http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf4husbandswivespartners#Q1
[/quote]

[quote=“I am a City Girl”]I don’t get it…
I thought your wife to be was going to apply the spouse visa in Taiwan though…then she is entitled to live and work in the UK legally for two years.After that, she can apply PR.

With fiancee visa, she is not allowed to work during her stay and has to apply the extension after you two get married, meaning you have to pay more to the British gov. and the visa processing time in the UK…well…you know…

[quote]How do I qualify to join my fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner in the UK?
You must show that:

you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months)
you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership
you have met each other before
there is somewhere for you and your dependants to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds,
you and your dependants can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds,
your fiancé(e) is not under 21, and
you are not under 21 at the date of arrival in the UK.

You will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months but without permission to work. When you are married or have registered a civil partnership, you can apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to your visa. When you do this you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee and provide certain documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form FLR (M) and guidance notes. If your application is granted you will be allowed to work. Before the end of your probationary two years Further Leave to Remain (FLR) you will need to apply to the UK Border Agency for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. When you do this you will be required to pay a further non-refundable fee and provide more documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form SET (M) and guidance notes. Before we can give you permission to stay in the UK permanently, you will need to pass the ‘Life in the UK’ test.
source:http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf4husbandswivespartners#Q1
[/quote][/quote]

As far as I can see it , I don’t have much option , a Taiwan wedding is not recognized in the UK, we want to get married in either Taiwan or UK so as far as I can tell the only way we can do this is to get the Fiancée visa for the uk then get married in the UK…

Am I correct or have I missed something are there other options or not ? :ohreally:

if there is please tell as I’m open to all options to avoid having to pay Goverment twice!!

May be you should think about getting married in Hong Kong, lot less paper work required and recognised in the UK. Plus you get a Chinese and English marriage certificate.