Questions about non criminal drunk driving?

Two weeks ago I was stopped at an alcohol check while coming home from a friend’s house. I had one beer at his place, and blew a 0.016 on the breathalyzer. The limit for drunk driving is apparently 0.025. However, you get a ticket if you’re over 0.015. The police took my scooter and I had to go to the police station. The policeman told me that I had to pay a 16,000NT fine, but that it was not a criminal offense–just a general traffic ticket? He told me that when I go to pay the fine, I can request to make it monthly payments over 18 months, but said to just pay for the first month and ignore the other 17 payments. He said that because I was a foreigner, nothing would happen to me.

This seems like very bad advice to me, but I really don’t understand. I have lived here for 6 years (with a year break in the middle). Apparently this will not affect my ARC or anything because it was low enough to be civil law and not criminal law. However, I feel as if this policeman’s advice is very questionable. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I actually not have to pay the other 17 months of this ticket??

Also, does this actually not go on my criminal record? Will my job be able to find out about this? The policeman told me not to worry but I am very scared.

2 Likes

Never trust what police say. You are responsible for yourself. Only people you can trust is a lawyer. The police will not face consequences for misleading you. I don’t know what the consequences are, I can ask my lawyer, but the only advice that is legal advice can come from an attorney.

Don’t talk to the police. Always exercise your right to silence.

2 Likes

Maybe the officer meant that you could pay the full amount on the first payment, then forget about it? I think Taiwan has a “point system” where traffic tickets can take points out of your driving license and are then forgotten after 1-2 years. I do not know the details. So I do think you do not need to worry much unless you plan to have many other traffic offenses come up.

1 Like

Has anyone actually ever tried not speaking to a police officer? Even when they got a translator to come over? I am curious about how that went down.

69 posts were split to a new topic: Taiwan: Talking to police, Right to remain silence, Lawyering up

refusal causes no problems other than time. signing documents holds you forever guilty. be careful what you sign, dont trust them or their translators because they constantly fuck people. not sure about your case but be aware a signature is admitting of guilt. that’s all. be smart.

4 Likes

If you don’t pay then it becomes a criminal offense. So maybe the cop wants you gone? Have you been dating his daughter?

Essentially not paying a fine means you’ve defaulted on the punishment. This escalates the punishment type (loss of revenue). From that point there are numerous ways to cause issue. Failing to respond to an official notice. That means not responding to the letter you never received.

Personally I think 0.025 is way too low for any kind of drink driving range. You could almost blow 0.016 from brushing your teeth with certain types of toothpaste. Most places around the world seem to have settled on 0.05. And have included driver education along with that level. Meaning knowing exactly how much you can drink in order to still go out for dinner and have a glass of wine or two and drive home without breaking the law.

I wonder if some local bigwig driving their Mercedes S class would cop a $16,000nt fine for blowing under the legal drink driving range?

In other words lawyer up. You might just find they’re trying a shakedown on you.

2 Likes

I asked my lawyer. He said according to the information I have. It is not a crime and shouldn’t affect your ARC.

Please note: this is not legal advice as I need to cover my ass as I am not you and cannot verify the whole situation.

He also says. Pay the fine in full. Dont skimp.

Non payment of fine IS a crime.

If you want peace of mind with official legal advice for a small fee, contact details are available upon request.

6 Likes

I can’t see any situation where not paying a fine is going to work out well.

5 Likes

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses.

I have already asked to pay the fee over 18 months, so I guess that’s what I have to do now. I’m also required to take a driving safety class and my driver’s license has been revoked for a year. I guess I’ll stick to my payments as the policeman’s advice seems to be horrible.

I see this weird conversation about talking to the cops vs not talking to the cops. I didn’t really have an option. They just pulled me over and made me take a breathalyzer. There wasn’t exactly much talking until after I blew the 0.016 and was already screwed.

I can’t believe all of this has happened over 1 Taiwan Gold Medal.

7 Likes

License revoked a year for being under the limit??
Seems a bit harsh!

They don’t get the drunk grandads and uncles that pick kids up from school, drunk no helmets for the kids.
I’m really going off Taiwan lately.

2 Likes

If 0.025 is the limit than 0.025 is the limit, not 0.015. It’s just another one of those non-logic things in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, can’t believe your license was revoked for a year. Will definitely make me more careful regarding taking a few sips here and there. Was the checkpoint at a bridge?

Every blue truck driving, scooter driving binlang chewing whisbi drinking taike is over the limit.

2006, around 3:00 A.M., blind drunk, at 120 kmph on my black custom Honda NSR 150 --heading down empty Minchuan E. road, section 5… Saw the cops parked in the shadows across the street, too late… They lit up and turned around to follow. I quickly decelerated, then turned right onto Fuyuan street then made a quick left into a side street… They followed me all the way. So, I just parked it and faced them… Took me to the station. They were laughing at me. I was really piss drunk, but still able to stand almost steady. (No idea what the breath reading was – but way way over the limit.) Anyway, they gave me a receipt and told me I could pick up my bike at the pound – for 20,000 NT ! I was SO pissed off! I didn’t go get the bike for at least a month, but soon I got tired of riding the slow-slow bus to work every morning. So, finally went to the pound and got my bike back. No other repercussions. Good luck…

It doesn’t even matter if you don’t pay the fine anymore. They’ll take it directly out of your bank account.

So you might as well pay it.

Things have changed, except your memory.

1 Like

It sounds ridiculous to me.

1 Like

That’s not my point.

Also not my point.

That shouldn’t depress you that humans are not able to know everything about everyone.

If they arrested and suspended the licenses of all these people, I suspect the economy of Taiwan would grind to a halt. :neutral_face:

Guy