Questions about non criminal drunk driving?

Back to the law in question, as anyone got a brake-down of limits and its punishment.

I mean the difference between 0.025 and 0.015 could be having a walk for an hour and drinking a bottle of water.

Yeah, unfortunately they still are way too lenient against drunk driving as far as I’m concerned. I think it all depends whether the perp has a good lawyer and/or gets the right cops. Just take a look at this case of a foreigner who was convicted with 0.28mg/liter:
臺灣臺北地方法院 104 年度交簡上字第 17 號刑事判決 (judicial.gov.tw)

Out of curiosity, were you arrested?

Because a lot of forms ask you “Have you ever been arrested…” rather than “Do you have a criminal record?”

Also, I’ve seen some forms that specifically ask you to disclose motoring offenses, convictions or cautions as well. Does this fall under a motoring caution?

How did the police suss out you were over the ticket-able limit?

Seems like its all very hit and miss with how they enforce things and it depends on which cops you get and your lawyer.
For example, this foreigner had a much higher alcohol level yet pretty much got let off and I think its all about getting proper representation. He was driving a car around Beer & Cheese a while back. He was caught at 0.28 mg/l. According to the court records he originally got hit with a prison term of 3 months and was going to be deported. He appealed and it looks like he had to pay a fine and do 40 hours of community service and was on probation. He also wasn’t deported but still had a criminal record which probably doesn’t make it so easy for him to get jobs in the future.
Take away is that taxis and Ubers are super cheap in Taiwan. Just go with that.
臺灣臺北地方法院 104 年度交簡上字第 17 號刑事判決 (judicial.gov.tw)

I’ve never needed my Taiwan police certificate for any office job here. I imagine you only need it for jobs working with kids or sensitive jobs like working in government or finance sector.

That’s true. Taiwanese companies aren’t usually into the background checks and all of the due diligence that’s done back home, especially in the US.

Also depends on if a person wants to pursue legal charges with you. The fairly famous case near NPUST in Pingtung where a drunk guy killed 2 foreigners on scooters he spent the night in jail and paid the family a minimal fee. It was so lenient because both families were very reasonable and didn’t want problems.

Yes, it seems that Taiwan still has the type of system where paying money to the relatives or victim solves a lot. This is a throwback to ancient systems where pretty much any crime could be paid off by a sum of money. I don’t think this works in the West anymore…

I dont find it great either. I feel Taiwan is changing, but at the moment couldn’t think of any examples. there is certainly loads of discussion in the public arena now about the justice systems downfalls. I am confident things will change soon enough (a decade or so), but one should still be quite careful in a system that isnt always decided objectively.