Questions about public schools and recruiters

“Teacher… I’m cold.”

temperature is at 25 and all the other students in the class are hot and sweaty

“Okay, cool.”

go back to teaching

Usually it’s the genius who decides to sit directly under the AC.

1 Like

@eCanada

I find that you have more options in public schools to discipline kids than in private schools.

The behavior is much better than in private schools but you don’t teach them often (I would only see them once a week) and their ability in general is much lower.
I also didn’t enjoy teaching the same lesson 4 periods in a row either.

Which private/international schools have you worked for?

I’d prefer not to name them as I might identify myself.
I mostly worked for one of the big named bilingual school, they have an international program… It’s not really an international School as most kids don’t have foreign passports.

Mostly it turned into a place for behavioral rich kids to bypass the Taiwanese education system and earn a diploma. There were some good kids, but most were entitled with no work ethic and parents would just complain if you didn’t change their marks.

I thought it was an isolated case so I finally went to a more reputable international School. Seemed much better on the surface. It turned out to be very similar. Less behavioral students but kids, parents, and admin don’t seem to care about class content… A high grade keeps everyone happy… Anything less turns the focus on the teacher. They could care less about education either. High grades are number one.

I do get to teach subjects at these schools, which is better, but I think I’m willing to give public schools a try. Most private schools I’ve been at have 5 different classes without much prep time.

Anyways,
I’ve been in Taiwan a while. I’m fine with a place like Joy who says you can’t give students less than 80% on their oral exams because they aren’t a real school and they know the parents will go to another cram school… Well I mean I can accept it.

But when reputable schools do the same thing and claim the rigorous and have certifications… It’s baffling to me. Being a for profit school in Taiwan is not an excuse to curve or falsify scores. Schools should stand up to students and parents to keep their academic integrity. Instead, scared of students leaving, they require teachers to comply.

Anyways, that’s my rant.

At least public schools aren’t for profit

1 Like