Questions about Taipei Real Estate Market

Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if there are any websites (English or Chinese) out there that track the real estate market in Taipei? I’m looking for the basics; average rent/buy prices (commercial and residential), historical price comparisons, future predictions, etc.

And off the top of anyone’s head, if you know - how are the current residential prices in comparison to years gone by? I know that right after 9/21/1999 prices were at a significant low.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Shawn

I saw these once in English and Chinese at Jones Lang LaSalle’s Taiwan office. Not sure if they would provide it for non-customers, but you can go and act like you are a big spender :wink: and ask or just take these from their waiting room.

joneslanglasalle.com.tw/en-GB/research/

The low prices in real estate here were much more recent than 1999. I’d say it was about 2-3 years ago, in this area at any rate.

Kenneth

Thanks for the info - got any more? Personal ideas about the real estate market in Taipei would be cool, too!

Buy low, sell high.

Gosh, I’m a prick today.
:blush:

I’ll keep that in mind… buy high, sell low… or was it, sell high, buy low?!

The website of Jones Lang Lasalle doesn’t give much info. That townhouse for sale was interesting, though.

I suppose the best source would be one of the local newspapers that also have a business section. It would be easier for me if there was something in English, though!

[quote=“shawn_c”]I’ll keep that in mind… buy high, sell low… or was it, sell high, buy low?!

The website of Jones Lang Lasalle doesn’t give much info. That townhouse for sale was interesting, though.

I suppose the best source would be one of the local newspapers that also have a business section. It would be easier for me if there was something in English, though![/quote]

Hey Shawn C, there is nothing like the townhouse I am selling in the greater Taipei area. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

Call them and ask for their research or visit their office.

taipei’s real estate is gonna crash

[quote=“dodoface”]Taipei’s real estate is gonna crash[/quote]what are you talking about DooDooFace? Maybe you mean some place like HongKong or China that is overheated? Taiwan’s real estate has already crashed and been depressed for a number of years and the recent bump up was not a soaring over compensation.

In all truth, there has been a boomlet in Northern Taiwan the last 3 years. New buildings going up etc.

As real incomes aren’t going up, the usual correlation between real interest rates and housing prices should get into play sooner or later.

Also, according to my understanding, we still have lots of pent up supply all over the island, so a sustained boom should see that getting out on the market, capping price rises off.

Mr. He, I agree that their will be slowdown as has already occurred, as the regular cycle of overbuilding and cooling down, but there will by no means be a crash as DooDooFace claims. If anything, after the KMT win the Presidency in 2008, you will see a boom as an relaxation of investment from China in the Taiwan real estate market is inevitable.

Hmm… At the risk of this sounding silly, has anyone ever looked up the prices of those old Japanese style houses surrounding the Chiang Kai-Shek Park. I mean those 1-lvl houses. Or it could be that they are not for sale.

angila: I am not exactly sure which houses you are referring to, but most of the historic 1 level homes with small yards in Taipei City proper are owned by the government, quasi-government organizations, universities, banks and so on. Most of the ones in private hands have been sold a long time ago to capitalize on the soaring land prices over the past 30-40 years. A whole lot of Taiwan people got rich that way as did the developers. The whole of Taipei was not too long ago nothing but 1 level houses except along the river banks which was the traditional old part of the city with merchant traders in tea and other goods.

Thank you for the reply. My grandparents live in one of them and it is indeed owned by the University. However, there are quite a few still there so I am just wondering if there were any privately own ones. Thank you though for your input.