Questions about teaching in Taiwan

Hi everyone,

I am a graduate student in TESL in the US. I’ve taught in China and I am currently doing some research about the TEFL context in Taiwan. I would really appreciate your insight into these questions:

1. What is the average salary for a foreign university lecturer with a master’s/PHD degree in TESL? What is an average class size for university English and non-English majors?

2. Does anyone know if there is a required number of English class hours for public school children and for university students in Taiwan? If not, what is the standard number of English classes in secondary and post-secondary education?

3. Does anyone know any good sources of information about English in the curriculum?

4. It seems to me that Taiwanese students are instrumentally motivated to learn English in order to pass tests. From your experience, are students also integratively motivated because they are interested in the language itself, international communication, or the culture of English speaking countries?

I’m sorry to ask for so much information!
Thanks!

• M