Questions about Visa trip to Japan

Hello …

And so it’s time again for the dreaded visa run. This time I’ll try Japan I think, but need some info from those in the know please.

Firstly, where in Japan can I apply for a (student) visa ? Okinawa ?
What is the address and tele number for this visa office ?
What documents are required ? (same as in HK ?)
How long does such an application take ? Can they do same day/1 day ?
Can anyone recommend accomodation ?
What about transport from the airport and transport in the surroundng area of the visa office ?

Errr … and any bits of do’s and don’ts or things to be aware of would be very helpful and much apreciated.

Thaks in advance.

Naha City on Okinawa is a nice alternative to the big cities of Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Manila. Clean air and small orderly city.
The airport is just 10-15 minutes from city center, (you can take a bus or taxi) and the Taipei office is just a few minutes’ walk from the main street.

Last time I checked China Airlines had two daily flights from Taipei, 8:15 am and 4:50 pm, return flights from Naha, Okinawa at 11:00 am and 7:50 pm. Just over an hour flight. It cost me NT$7800

The (defacto) embassy office hours; Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 12:00 and 1:00 - 5:00, but applying for a visa restricted to 9:00 - 12:00 and 1:00 - 3:00.

If you take the morning flight you can get to the office and hand in your application before noon and pick it up the following day.

If you use Yahoo! Taiwan, you can find decent airfare to Osaka (about $7000NT, which is pretty close to what it would cost for the Ferry to Okinawa) I don’t know anything about a TECO in Osaka…but there’s a good amount of cheap Hostels in the Osaka/Kyoto area. I stayed at the Kyoto Cheapest Inn, it was only 900Yen!!! Don’t expect anything fancy for that cheap (it was essentailly a one floor apartment building, with beds everywhere). I’m sure you can find a way to get a visa in Osaka…and Kyoto is definatly worth the trip.

Yes, the Bureau of Consular Affairs lists five representative offices in Japan; Tokyo, Yokoyama, Fukuoka (got to love that name), Okinawa, and Osaka.

Many thanks to both of you !