Questions about work visa application process

I’ve accepted a full-time teaching position at a university in Taiwan. I’m currently living in Hong Kong, and the director at this Taiwanese university said that she is going to send me a copy of my contract, and I need to take it to the Taiwan visa office (Lippo Centre) to get a work visa, not a visitor visa.

I’ve lived in Taiwan before, and I was under the impression that it was impossible to get a work visa outside of Taiwan. Furthermore, I have been warned many times NOT to go to any Taiwan visa office and say anything about going to Taiwan to teach English.

Has the work visa application process changed, or does this director have the wrong information?

Thanks in advance!!!