Questions on visa issues

Hey guys, im new to the board, but ive been living in taipei for about half a year now.

I was born in LA, so i have american citizenship. I currently hold an American Passport and a Taiwan Passport (non-resident, which allows me to stay in taiwan for 3 months at a time). Both my parents have dual citizenship (taiwan and american) and reside in LA. i also have many family members here in taiwan.

I graduated last summer and im here to work. I am in the process of trying to get my “open work permit”. i have read through some of the threads here and please correct me if i am wrong about the process i am going to need to take.

Documents i have: American passport, Taiwan passport (Non-resident), Medical exam from an approved hospital in taiwan, FBI criminal background check on the way (already sent application in and will get approved/translated), parents have “residence certificates” etc.

I am under the impression that i need to apply for an ARC, then get the APRC, then the Open work permit.

I am currently working for a major corporation (off the books, because i have an important friend who has brought me in), however i will be applying to other major corporations/banks and they will not Sponsor me for the “Employer work permit”. from what ive seen, they will only hire you if you are already able to work in taiwan, hence why i need the “open work permit”

Also, i have an uncle who has his own large company in taiwan. would i be able to get him to get me a “Employer work permit”, but use it to work at another company. or does that work permit confine u to the company that applied for you?

Sorry if this is alot to ask, but alot of people tell me different things at different departments :loco:

You have me very confused on the non-resident Taiwan passport that allows you to only stay 3 months at a time. Never heard of it, so I wouldn’t know how that affects the work permit process. Any passport I’ve ever heard of from any country is given only to citizens. I know someone with a US passport with Taiwanese family here who comes with a visitor visa and has it extended on the basis of visiting his family, but he doesn’t work.

The process for APRC and open work permit for a US passport holder is detailed thoroughly in another thread, but with current rules as far as I understand them, you’d have to have an ARC and regular work permit for 5 continuous years before you’d even be able to qualify for an APRC and open work permit. Under this scenario, your would also need a Bachelors + 2 years related work experience or a Masters to get the work permit, since it sounds like you are talking about non-teaching jobs.

Additionally, the work rules for normal work-permit holders (not open work permits) as far as I understand them are that you can only work at the site on the permit. If your uncle gets you the work permit, it would be illegal to work anywhere else.

Thanks for the info Craig!

The passport is a taiwan passport that i applied for at the embassy in LA. there is a visa page in it that says im allowed to stay 3 months at a time in taiwan (compared to only 60 days with my US passport). i was able to apply for it because both my parents are taiwan citizens i guess?

I already have my bachelors, so your saying i would only need another 2 years of documented legal work experience in taiwan to apply for the APRC? For the company that i am working for right now, if i need to get the regular work permit, what does it require the company to do for me to get it? i wish to stay with either this company or another major bank/corp in taiwan, so i want to be able to at least get this regular work permit. is it just a letter of sponsorship from HR that they will hire me and i take it to the NIA (or employment bureau) and file myself or is it a very lengthy process that only the HR can do for me?

thanks!

[quote=“itsmeeeugene”]Thanks for the info Craig!

The passport is a taiwan passport that i applied for at the embassy in LA. there is a visa page in it that says im allowed to stay 3 months at a time in taiwan (compared to only 60 days with my US passport). I was able to apply for it because both my parents are taiwan citizens i guess?

I already have my bachelors, so your saying I would only need another 2 years of documented legal work experience in taiwan to apply for the APRC? For the company that I am working for right now, if I need to get the regular work permit, what does it require the company to do for me to get it? i wish to stay with either this company or another major bank/corp in taiwan, so I want to be able to at least get this regular work permit. is it just a letter of sponsorship from HR that they will hire me and i take it to the NIA (or employment bureau) and file myself or is it a very lengthy process that only the HR can do for me?

thanks![/quote]
I still don’t understand that document. It’s called a “passport”? But, still only allows you to stay 3 months? Does it allow you to work? Did you ask them in LA?

Again, I can only speak to my understanding of the regulations for US passport holders, and either I didn’t express myself very clearly, or you didn’t read my reply very carefully.

You need 5 years continuous employment in Taiwan (job specific work permits + ARC) before you can apply for an APRC and open work permit.

To get a work permit for a non-teaching job, you need either a Bachelors + 2 years related work experience, or a Masters.

The company you will work for must apply for the work permit. They will give you a copy of the work permit, which then you take to the NIA for your ARC.

Sorry Craig,

I understood your earlier reply. i was just a bit confused on the total 5 years total part since you said Bachelors+2years work experience. I understand now that i am not qualified yet to apply for the open work permit/APRC yet.

I will ask my HR about them applying for the work permit for me instead! thanks for the help Craig. :thumbsup:

Eugene