Quick Fedora Core (Red Hat) Questions

Hey all,
I’m slowly but surely getting into this whole Linux thing and installed Fedora Core 4 for the first time last night (I’ve already played around with Mandrake, Suse and a couple of others).

The installation was smoooooth and only took about half an hour. I even managed to get my no-name TV card up and running, though that took a little while.

Anyway, three things stumped me and hopefully one of you has some quick answers for me.

1. Is there a way to make the terminal open when you’re looking in a certain folder? In Mandrake you just right-click and the option is there.

2. I used to use the command “mc” to open a text based file manager in the terminal, but that command doesn’t seem to work with Red Hat.

3. At one stage the whole thing froze, and all I could do was a hard reset. Are there any cunning “escape” key combinations in Linux?

Thanks a lot for your help.

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey all,

1. Is there a way to make the terminal open when you’re looking in a certain folder? In Mandrake you just right-click and the option is there.

2. I used to use the command “mc” to open a text based file manager in the terminal, but that command doesn’t seem to work with Red Hat.

3. At one stage the whole thing froze, and all I could do was a hard reset. Are there any cunning “escape” key combinations in Linux?

[/quote]

I haven’t used Linux in many years. But google will get you answers in no time. :slight_smile:

1.live.gnome.org/PowerUserTools

1. Yum? or

download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f … dora/RPMS/

1. I think there’s a key combo that will switch sessions. You could SSH into your machine from another if there’s an offending process to kill. I was reading an article about Solaris yesterday on The Register. The guy was saying Linux still doesn’t have the stability of Solaris and hard resets are sometimes required.

Thanks gary. The annoying thing about the hard reset was that there was a lot of debugging to do on the reboot. Took quite a while (athough all I had to do was keep pressing the “y” key :stuck_out_tongue: )

P.S. I did have a search through Google, but I didn’t find the exact answers I needed very quickly. Sometimes it’s better to ask some friends who know about these things :wink: .

I’m not sure what you mean… are you using Gnome or KDE? That is, Nautilus or Konqueror? Or something else?

“mc” (“Midnight Commander”) is a separate program, I’m sure you’ll find it on one of the Fedora CDs. Try to use Yum or KPackage or whatever you use to install programs in Fedora.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will restart the X server, and Ctrl-Alt-F1 will bring you to a terminal, where you can login and kill or restart the X server. That works only if it’s not a kernel crash.

Nice. Thanks a million.

Although we’re all happy to help as much as we can, if you run into a Fedora-specific problem that nobody here can adequately answer, you might want to visit the Fedora forum…

forums.fedoraforum.org/

Actually, it’s worth browsing through this. Lots of good technical information in there. Biggest problem is maybe that it’s almost too much (you can get lost in all that geekspeak).

cheers,
DB