Quick, give me a word which means this (NOT a game, for once

Is there a word which means “Rigid, yet flexible”?

I know it’s an oxymoron, but certain materials can have both properties.

I’ve seen circuit boards described as rigid-flexible, rigid-flex and rigi-flex.

Then there’s semi-rigid.

Bamboo?

malleable? (SP)

corndog?

[quote=“irishstu”]Is there a word which means “Rigid, yet flexible”?
[/quote]

Depends on context. What is it Stu. Space shuttle parts again?

It’s a rubber clip which holds two things together. It’s pretty strong… Kinda like a rubber version of sprung steel, if you get my drift.

I want to go something like “flexible, non-malleable”…in patents, we use something like “resilient” for springs and such.

“Tensile?”

[quote]Tensile strength n. ( Abbr. TS ) The resistance of a material to a force tending
to tear it apart, measured as the maximum tension the material can.[/quote]
Usually used in relation to metal description but also works for rubber.

Or “not too sploogie.” That’s what I’d go for, personally.

“Not to sploogie”? Isn’t that a birth control method?

OK cheers, for the suggestions, guys.

The guy had already written “tenacious”, btw, which I had a giggle with. Maybe that’s cos I’m a Tenacious D fan.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I’ve seen circuit boards described as rigid-flexible, rigid-flex and rigi-flex.

Then there’s semi-rigid.[/quote]

I think those are the terms that are used in various related trades.

Otherwise, I know that there is hardware, software and firmware.

[quote=“irishstu”]OK cheers, for the suggestions, guys.

The guy had already written “tenacious”, btw, which I had a giggle with. Maybe that’s cos I’m a Tenacious D fan.[/quote]
Yes, Tenacious D fans DO tend to giggle a lot. Were you doing it inanely? That’s the most usual way.

Sounds like your man was trying to go for tensile, though. Yay for me. I’m fab. :wink:

From dictionary.com:

[quote]1. Holding or tending to hold persistently to something, such as a point of view.

1. Holding together firmly; cohesive: a tenacious material.
    [/quote]
    Sounds like the original author gave you a better answer than the combined wisdom of Forumosa :laughing:

Toast

Yes, but if you were assembling your space shuttle parts and came across a part written “put the wires in the tenacious grip rubber clip” you’d probably be worried for the astronauts.

I think the term you’re looking for is “rigid, but flexible”

“Put the wires in the high tensile rubber clip and Bob’s yer uncle.”

Resilient

Erm… did I mention that it’s OK now?

I just wrote “rigid, yet flexible” (close, BFM). I thought too many people would either laugh at “tenacious” (like me) or not know what it meant (even if it is theoretically correct).