Quick introduction to myself

Would like to introduce myself to people on the site. Some of which I am finding out I have met. Sadly, I learned about this site from the Pig and Whistle incident. I have lived in Taiwan since 1992. Taught English a few years, and have worked in the Science Park for 10 years. All my time has been spent in Hsinchu. In 99, we started the Hsinchu Hash House Harriers, and have hashed quite often with the China Hash, Taipei Hash, and Bear Hash in Taipei, as well as the TaiJong Hash. Have a wonderful one year old son, with another one on the way. If any of you get down to Hsinchu, or are already here, please don’t hesitate in contacting me with any questions, or if you are in need of a drinking partner.

David Myers

Cool beans, my friend. Welcome to Forumosa. :beer:

So, what’s your hash name?

Maoman (aka Problem Child - ex Kaohsiung Hasher, circa 1989) :wink:

Welcome to forumosa.

First of all… welcome.

Second… well, I’ll be the ignorant one who asks… What is with all this ‘hash’ business? Can someone please explain? Thanks.

Thanks for the Hellos.
Hash name is Mud2Pud.

Explaining the hash is not really easy. You need to attend one to really know. It involves hiking/drinking/running. Started in Malaysia in the 40s through the British (or UK) establisment there at the time. Every group is unorganized and different. From recollection, there are around 2000+ globally (don’t trust me though, I am still trying to figure out continents).

For the Hsinchu Hash, our URL link is below:

groups.yahoo.com/group/newbambooh3/

Best thing, you don’t have to finish, or drink, to go on one. If you are in Taipei, one of the third waves from the hash was Taiwan’s Taiwan Hash. via s-pore/Okinawa if I am not mistaken. It was in 73-76 time period. One of the founders, hash name- Slobbo, is still around. Fun group of people, different industries and background, and as is life, always an asshole or two.

Look forward to chatting with you in the future, and if fate has it, a face to face.

So, continents, are there really seven? We learn N.A., S.A., Eur, Asia, Aust, Afr, Antartica (whew, so I have been to six). If continenta are defined as large unbroken masses of land into which the earth’s surface is divided- Alot of leeway and questions must arise. If a continent is based on the main plates moving, which doesn’t makes sense, then I have heard and argued over responses of five. Anyone have a better definition out there?

Cheers

[quote=“djmyers”]So, continents, are there really seven? We learn N.A., S.A., Eur, Asia, Aust, Afr, Antartica (whew, so I have been to six). If continenta are defined as large unbroken masses of land into which the earth’s surface is divided- Alot of leeway and questions must arise. If a continent is based on the main plates moving, which doesn’t makes sense, then I have heard and argued over responses of five. Anyone have a better definition out there?

Cheers[/quote]
I learned there were seven, too, in elementary school, but in university this was gently corrected to six, and I have since learned that it is basically the English diaspora that puts it at seven. Seven, because Europe was/is the ruler of the world and the most important area, and so had to be a continent. Six, because obviously Europe and Asia are joined, making it one continent – Eurasia.
If a continent is taken to be one of the great landmasses that are separated from the others (though a narrow connection is allowed), then obviously there are six. Geographers do sometimes deal with it on the tectonic plate level, but in that case the names are different. This is scientific English, however; normal English would put the count at six.

Shouldn’t it really be five? NA and SA were fully, thoroughly, completely connected until some utter bastard chopped a canal through Panama.

No, because the connection is too narrow. After all, Africa is also connected to Eurasia, slightly, but it counts. Asia was in the (geographic) recent past connected to North America, but the two were still considered as separate continents.

Hmm, so six does make sense, depending on what we learned in School. Have met enough Brits to see why they would like their little salt water island to be considered part of a continent. What constitute’s a narrow strip of land?

Regarding Teddy’s job on the canal, the French started it. We just helped finish it, instead of making a new one through Nicaragua. Plans are under way now to actually expand its width, as well as the length of locks. Apparently, most ships are speced to go through a canal built almost 100 yrs ago. Would be a large engineering project if it goes through. Even greater than Taiwan’s high speed rail.

Welcome djmeyers. So… Where do you spin? Are you a progressive house, techno, trance or house fella?

[quote=“QuietMountain”]First of all… welcome.

Second… well, I’ll be the ignorant one who asks… What is with all this ‘hash’ business? Can someone please explain? Thanks.[/quote]

I hashed in Tianjin for a few months in 1994. Back then I thought those guys were pricks, but very nice pricks. They all had money and families and I was some silly language student with long hair at Nankai University. There was something charming about the song and drinking loads of beer while jogging.
The fun part was the jogging path through the city was chalk-marked with arrows. Some intersections told you to go two ways and one was a false trail. It kept people from running as loners and it kept people from straggling. It was always better to discover a false path with someone so you could :fume: :unamused: together. People did not want to straggle because they might miss someone coming back from a false trail if they did. Good, clean fun.

Hi Quirky,
Am stuck between work, home, and the bars. Assholes are abundant and everywhere. Especially in the Hash. Good people also fall into this category. Am mostly in Hsinchu if not traveling. Welcome to this part of the island whenever you are here. Would be happy to purchase you a beverage of your choice (glass, not bottles). Hsinchu is one of the few that mark the runs live. Anything South does pre marking. North is normally live. Globally, normally pre marked. You summed it up well though. If you want to run hard, have a great time. The people drinking behind you and walking are having as much, if not more, a better experience. I fall under the later category.