Quick question. Is exaggerating a form of dishonesty?

Is exaggerating a form of dishonesty?

• Yes
  • Absolutely

0 voters

I personally can not stand exaggerations. I really dislike that with a passion. I think it’s dishonest, and I think it displays a lack of substance, a lack of assertiveness, and a lack of integrity.

I feel better already…

[color=green]Note: Poll stem spelling corrected by mod – DB[/color]

Problem is, “exaggeration” is a relative standard. Ad content in Taiwan is much inflated by US standards, yet everyone in the culture understands what is really meant. Well, most of them, anyway.

Stick with your dogs if it bothers you. They never exaggerate. Always straight with you. :slight_smile:

Still bitter?

It depends on when and how it’s used. “I’ve told you a million times” and “My boss is gonna kill me” are exaggerations, but obviously not meant to be taken literally. Thus they don’t annoy me.

But if a newspaper article says, with all seriousness, “All foreigners love McDonald’s”, it angers me because it’s a clear falsehood being passed off as truth in a medium that should be considered trustworthy.

Still bitter?[/quote]

No, I’m talking about how dogs are always straight with people, unlike cats. (Cue the song: “You’re so vain…you probably think this post is about you…”) :smiley:

Don’t know about that – I’ve had a male dog hump my leg, but never a male cat.

Why is there no option for “no” in your poll?.. all you are going to get are answers that confirm your suspicion…

mens are known to be OTT

this is the reason weemain are bad at parking a car
we led them to belive that this

is 8 inches…

I often meet foreigners who lie about properties they have back home, like land, expensive cars, apartment buildings, High paying jobs they could go back to, etc. While it may be exaggeration, I consider it for the most part, lying. Also, its easy to meet the same person months later and listen to how the stories have changed.

Quips like “as big as a house” , or eats like a horse, or a mile long, don’t bother me. Not lying. just exaggeration.

Also, another persons paradise is anothers hum drum.

[quote=“Funk500”]Why is there no option for “no” in your poll?.. all you are going to get are answers that confirm your suspicion…[/quote]Because it’s a statement rather than a poll. Consider it a misappropriation. :wink:

[quote]It depends on when and how it’s used. “I’ve told you a million times” and “My boss is gonna kill me” are exaggerations, but obviously not meant to be taken literally.[/quote]That is correct. These examples of exaggerations are figures of speech. I don’t mind them either.

This is the most interesting thread I’ve ever read.

You should be thankful people bother to lie for you. It shows they respect your view of them.

I used to exaggerate about a million times a day, but I don’t any more.

[quote=“Buttercup”]This is the most interesting thread I’ve ever read.

You should be thankful people bother to lie for you. It shows they respect your view of them.[/quote]

Isn’t that what exaggerations often are? A way to turn something boring and uninteresting (often oneself) into something of more interest? Shameful really.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I used to exaggerate about a million times a day, but I don’t any more.[/quote]Whatever! You are the king of exaggerations, mate. :wink:

Not shameful, it’s charming.

There’s nothing wrong with some selective exaggeration.
All human society and each of it’s endeavors depends upon it.

Nobody would do a damn thing, were it not for exaggeration.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]There’s nothing wrong with some selective exaggeration.
All human society and each of it’s endeavors depends upon it.

Nobody would do a damn thing, were it not for exaggeration.[/quote]The world doesn’t need exaggerations. There’s enough exacerbation as it is. I do agree that selective exaggerations are alright, though, “selective” being the key word.

[quote]Not shameful, it’s charming.[/quote]Whatever turns you on.

Everything I say is a lie.

Blow your logic circuits out to that one.