Quick start introduction to living in Taipei

Thanks WindyTown, already working my way through it.

I agree that often the off track places that are not ordinarily found in travel guides etc offer the most ample reward. In my spare time I like nothing more then to go for a wander and find the less trodden path in every country I am in.

However from a tourists perspective, they’re not really relevant. Because tourists want names, prestige and places they can tag on Instagram. Often the over crowded touristy places are the worst experiences, in my opinion. I’m thinking of Kyoto in Japan during golden week… I absolutely hated it and could not understand the buzz around it whatsoever. After that I took my bike and my girlfriend, and together we explored the much more interesting and endlessly explorable Kyushu in Southern Japan.

I loved that. Way more up my street. But then in life there are two kinds of people - those who like Starbucks and those who don’t.

This used to be Neil Diamond, not Starbucks. “In life there are two kinds of people - those who like Neil Diamond and those who don’t.”

Those were simpler times.

if you are on an expat package surely its well paid? the only reasons to go to taichung are because its cheaper and has more sun. if i was on an expat package i wouldn’t even be thinking about taichung i would just choose a nice part of taipei and live it up. as for places to visit? hualian(taroko gorge is a must) the typical places in taipei are all pretty good too. throw in some naturey places(yang ming mountain or maokong or something ) too so you dont get the impression that taipei is 100% urban and its all good.