Quick! What the hell is g-telp?

Is this a bona fide test? Only, several local unis are introducing it and I’ve never heard of it and can’t find and info other than from mainly Korean websites.

General Test of English Language Proficiency. From a very brief search, there appears to be plenty of information about it on the web, including one Taiwanese site http://www.g-telp.com.tw/client/ .

Not sure why it shouldn’t be “bona fide” as it appears to be used in Japan and Korea as well as Taiwan.

This has some more info
gtelp.co.kr/e_gtelp/gtelp/im … huer_c.pdf.

And some English sites that are not affiliated to the G-Telp organisation, for instance:

http://josecarilloforum.com/eng_prof.html

I’m just a skeptic. Editing a story about a bunch of local unis that have signed a deal to run the tests around Taiwan and my alarm bells went off. So many of these things are designed purely to separate kids from their money, and this one is touting that the kids who cough up the cash will get a certificate that will increase their international competitiveness.
Just sounded a bit off, to me. I never heard of it before.

Developed by San Diego State, supposedly, but their website doesn’t seem to carry any info on it.

I’m just a skeptic. Editing a story about a bunch of local unis that have signed a deal to run the tests around Taiwan and my alarm bells went off. So many of these things are designed purely to separate kids from their money, and this one is touting that the kids who cough up the cash will get a certificate that will increase their international competitiveness.
Just sounded a bit off, to me. I never heard of it before.[/quote]

Well, the GEPT makes the same claim -is it the same thing?- and the rest of the bunch of tests -which parents love. If the unis agree on having to take the test as part of entrance requirements -hah!- then the kids are doomed.

That’s exactly what it is.

Sure, I don’t doubt that it is used to separate people with their money on false pretences. But the actual test itself appears to be kosher.