Quick Yilan road trip: suggestions?

I plan to take a quick trip tomorrow through the Xueshan tunnel, then follow the coast up and around from Yilan to Jilong and back down the No. 3 Freeway. Anyone have any suggestions for things to do or see along the way?

The waves -typhoon coming.

The galleon ship -if it makes it there.

The Museum of Traditional Culture

Stay in a nice hotel with own hot spring tub.

Jinguashi
Fulong Beach
Daxi Fish Market
Bitou Cape

Not long after you turn ontop the coast you will see a massive slanted yellow building. It’s a Mr Brown cafe but has great views from the back deck.

A little further is Leo Resort with a great restaurant, again with nice views. Also a stone lion museum in hotel well worth checking out.

Daxi Fish Harbour as Chris says.

Also at Daxi, orjust past the town, you’ll see a row of squat buildings to the left and a small metal arch or gate. Take this road and follow all the way to Fulong. No traffic and killer views over the coast. This is a watershed area so almost no housing.

Bitou Cape is stunning and worth stopping for a short walk along it. You’ll see signs.

Not past Bitou are the Nanya Peculiar Rocks, which look like giant orange swirls of ice cream.

Just past this is the Nan-something trail (signed in English). A gorgeous back route up to Teapot Mountain. Best in lat efall though when the fields are in bloom with silvergrass.

Jinguashi. Excellent restoration of old Japanese era Taiwan. Free now too.

I wouldn’t bother going to Keelung but continuing up from Jinguashi to Juifen and down the 106 to Shifen and continue this all the way back to Muzha/Hwy 3.

Great suggestions, all. Thanks!

You might also want to stop at Beiguan Park (北關海潮公園) just north of Yilan.

In Su’ao right now, but it looks like the ship hasn’t shown up yet and they won’t be letting visitors get into the port itself to have a look anyway. Shame. Anything else worth seeing in town before we head up the coast?

Right next to Suao is Taiwans largest fishing port NanFang Ao. Go there for some nice fresh steamed crabs. OH soo good. And some fish soup and other seafood.

The galleon was diverted to Jilong because of the imminent typhoon, so we couldn’t see it in port in Su’ao. Nevertheless we had a great time, stopping at the Lanyang Museum (looks like the building has half-fallen over and sunk into the marshes), Bitou, Nanfang’ao, the lighthouse at Taiwan’s most easterly point (Sandiao jiao), the tacky reconstructed cultural park (I love me some imitation oldness married with the opportunity to sell crap), Mr. Brown’s and Fulong. Missed out on Beiguan Park and steamed crab, but there’s always another day.

Sandiao jiao lighthouse

Then, on the drive around the northeast coast, we caught sight of the galleon out to sea. Wasn’t able to get great shots with my cheap point-and-shoot, but it was cool to see such a beautiful craft on the waves. Lovely dinner, and then home. Splendid. Thanks for the help all!

Glad to hear you liked it. :slight_smile: