Quiet places for Chinese New Year other than Taipei- island?

I’m stuck in Taiwan during Chinese New Year due to outrageous airfares and a full passport. I’m thinking about camping on Green Island. Where might be some not-too-cold, not-too-crowded places to camp? Any advice or stories would be appreciated.

Check out this thread. Someone even mentions a trip to Green Island during Chinese New Year.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=25578

Last year during Chinese New Year Taipei was the most quiet place I had ever seen - all the shops closed, all the restaurants closed, no people in the streets. But it was definately too cold…

I went to Green Island two years ago. The boat ride to the island was the worst experience I’ve ever had. The sea is more than a little rough. Me and 100 other people throwing up for 45 minutes. After that the trip was great. It rained one of the four days I was there, otherwise the weather was sunny and pleasent. Most Taiwanese only go there for a day trip. I did not camp. The weather was not cold, but I would call it cool. I do highly reccomend the island. The camp ground on the island is a typical Taiwan parking lot like place. There were a few other people camping when I was there. I don’t know if you can camp on the mountian, but it is a little colder up there and may not be what you want.

The most important thing I can tell you though is to make sure you have a way down south and back. Don’t take a bus. The roads are so crowded it willl take you two days to get back. Have fun. I hope you go.

Contact Griggs and Kev.

Aloha

angelfire.com/cantina/griggs