Quit Smoking Support thread

So it’s actually Ash Wednesday, but I’m posting this here because in the past F.com has supported people who quit smoking. So I’m announcing that I’m joining those who have quit and doing as apart of the Lenten season.

So, hopefully youse guys can support me for the 40 day stretch that hopefully will be a lifetime thing once I get to that 40th day.

Thanks
:rainbow:

[quote=“Namahottie”]So it’s actually Ash Wednesday, but I’m posting this here because in the past F.com has supported people who quit smoking. So I’m announcing that I’m joining those who have quit and doing as apart of the Lenten season.

So, hopefully youse guys can support me for the 40 day stretch that hopefully will be a lifetime thing once I get to that 40th day.

Thanks
:rainbow:[/quote]

This is awsome news! I’m here for ya if you just want to talk, bitch, rant, or whatever. I’ll support you any way I can! You’re giving your future you a beautiful gift!

[quote=“Namahottie”]So it’s actually Ash Wednesday, but I’m posting this here because in the past F.com has supported people who quit smoking. So I’m announcing that I’m joining those who have quit and doing as apart of the Lenten season.

Thanks
:rainbow:[/quote]Nama -
Good Luck and Best Wishes.
Cleansing your body of that foul evil demon weed will not be easy. But the rewards are great.

Good luck and stay strong! :rainbow:

You’ll wake up one day and be able to smell and taste food again.

You’ll be able to concentrate on a project without going “oh, time for a fag” and the have to stand in the pouring rain trying to light one up.

You’ll be richer, stronger, happier, healthier.

But the most important thing is that you won’t be a prisoner anymore.

If we were meant to smoke, we’d have chimney stacks on the top of our heads!

Go for it!

L. :rant: over

Then again, according to Ayn Rand, we are supposed to smoke as it represents man’s taming of fire.

Jia1you2 Namahottie! You can do it ! :slight_smile:

It’s been 72 hours since I’ve had my last smoke! I wanted to wait until there to say thank you to those who are supporting me on this journey.

37 days to go…:yay:

Great! And just think how much money you’ll save this year!

In time to spend it all next year in Bali :wink:

In time to spend it all next year in Bali :wink:[/quote]

You betcha! There’s a little extra motivation for ya.

In time to spend it all next year in Bali :wink:[/quote]

I’m in Bali right now and the smokes are cheap-so you can go wild here buying smokes with the money you save.

(Actually I haven’t smoked in 2 weeks and I’m afraid of returning to TW and starting again)

I’ve been chewing lots of gum-stuffing my face with it. Good luck-after the first week it’s easier if you stay sober.

Hey, great decision, Nama! We’ll be pulling for you, keep us posted! :slight_smile:

Oh, and I’d suggest you change the title of this thread to get more people on board for support. Something that cleary says what it’s about.
I only opened this thread becuase I subscribe to Bubba’s posts.

What?! The man is funny.

Okay tash thanks for the suggestion.

Boy am I struggling today. It’s 6:30 am and I’m “dying” for a smoke. A bit of stress related to school. I always smoke in relation to my feelings and upsets. And right now I’m upset, slightly. But I keep taking extra deep breaths and I realize the key to keeping that smoke out of my mouth, aside from it being below zero and nothing around my house is open to buy smokes :laughing: is control of my thoughts. PMA is really coming in handy right now.

I’m listening to this sermon on discipline and self control and it’s interesting to just listen and realize that at a certain point, if one is honest with one’s self, that the key to success is making plans and sticking to them. You know that but until you practice it, it’s whole other story.

Well, 35 days to go… :smiley:

[quote=“Namahottie”]Okay tash thanks for the suggestion.

Boy am I struggling today. It’s 6:30 am and I’m “dying” for a smoke. A bit of stress related to school. I always smoke in relation to my feelings and upsets. And right now I’m upset, slightly. But I keep taking extra deep breaths and I realize the key to keeping that smoke out of my mouth, aside from it being below zero and nothing around my house is open to buy smokes :laughing: is control of my thoughts. PMA is really coming in handy right now.

I’m listening to this sermon on discipline and self control and it’s interesting to just listen and realize that at a certain point, if one is honest with one’s self, that the key to success is making plans and sticking to them. You know that but until you practice it, it’s whole other story.

Well, 35 days to go… :smiley:[/quote]

Go and rent Platoon, Trainspotting, and the Year of Living Dangerously. That will test your self control. I’m betting after watching the last one, you’ll go to an import store and buy some nice, fragrant, lovely clove ciggies. :wink: If you don’t, I’m impressed.

Nice support, Chewy :raspberry: :laughing:

I was just reminded of an article due this week,and I just made deadline for a blog I forgot to post and I have mounds of reading I’m behind in. I tell you if it weren’t for the cold, I probably be a chimney right now. :laughing:

[quote=“Namahottie”]Nice support, Chewy :raspberry: :laughing:

I was just reminded of an article due this week,and I just made deadline for a blog I forgot to post and I have mounds of reading I’m behind in. I tell you if it weren’t for the cold, I probably be a chimney right now. :laughing:[/quote]

Crimany! I don’t smoke. I’d never quit if I started. I used to have to light cigs for my mother’s third husband when I was a kid and I developed a taste. I really do understand about as well as any non-smoker can.

I understand about the school work, too! I just took a test and still have a book to write. I have to do it today cause I have to work all day tomorrow and then go to an meeting an hour away. I’ll maybe get home by midnight, if I’m lucky. The paper’s due wed. And I’ve never done anything like this before and the prof will not provide examples that are validly good work. She’s provided two examples of work done by other students, but will not qualify the work–so don’t know if I should do what they did or something different. I’m assuming she wouldn’t give us poor examples, but then she won’t give us clear guidlines about how she’s grading, so who knows?

If I had alcohol in the house I’d be pouring it down myself.

We ARE going to make it. You’re gonna get stuff done and survive the expereince without smoking.

I’m gonna pass this class without having a nervous breakdown.

Cause’s that’s the only acceptable option. I will NOT take this class again! You will NOT smoke again! Cause we are better than that!

keep it tight and keep it loose. I picked the habit back up in Taiwan. Blah Good Luck Sweet Heart. Just cut it off completely from your brain like a tumor. It doesn’t exsist it was never there. You never smoked and so it doesn’t matter. Remember when you were a kid before you started. The way you were. But most of all just don’t think about it. If you aren’t thinking about it it isn’t there.

So you have to figure out ways of not thinking about it. Keep us posted. Stress seems to be a trigger so find an alternative to your stress. Working out, punching something, throwing snow balls in Chi town, something find about 10 things to distract you. Gum lasts for about 1 minute haha.

Try hypnosis worked for a lot of my family members. They quit and haven’t smoked since the hypnosis.

Lent is a good context to do this kind of thing, I think. It gives you extra motivation, especially if you’re religious.
40 is a nice length, not too long (although it might not seem that way when you’re actually doing it, I know) not too short.

I remember doing something for Lent (nowhere near as hard, I must admit) and I remember that I found it important not to think too much beyond that number. So, instead of thinking “If I can make it through Lent, perhaps I can quit forever”, I took myself off the hook for anything beyond Lent. It worked. Otherwise, I think the pressure of longterm commitment would have been too much.

Maybe that helps?

[quote=“tash”]Lent is a good context to do this kind of thing, I think. It gives you extra motivation, especially if you’re religious.
40 is a nice length, not too long (although it might not seem that way when you’re actually doing it, I know) not too short.

I remember doing something for Lent (nowhere near as hard, I must admit) and I remember that I found it important not to think too much beyond that number. So, instead of thinking “If I can make it through Lent, perhaps I can quit forever”, I took myself off the hook for anything beyond Lent. It worked. Otherwise, I think the pressure of longterm commitment would have been too much.

Maybe that helps?[/quote]

That’s exactly my point. Chu got it, tash. :bravo: I’m working with 40 days, and if I can make that, then we’ll discuss day 41. But I come inside to my toasty home and think, ah, wouldn’t it be nice to smoke to relax. But I don’t. I reach for a starlight peppermint and suck and suck. And I forget. The only problem I forgot about quitting was that my dog “smoked” too and for a couple of days he’s been struggling. :frowning:

Today, I had to go downtown and the stop I normally get off at has a lot of stairs to climb. I got to the top and was half way down the block before I realized that I was not out of breath!!! I was so happy and proud of myself. So happy that I was smiling so much that people were smiling back and saying hi to me and they didn’t even know me. (Anyone who knows me, knows that’s a BIG change :laughing:)

Man, i just think, if I stick to this, my skin will look good, my body is already looking nice (no joke, I’ve actually been losing some weight :astonished: along with some other healthy benefits have been happening, but I won’t say :wink: ) and I’ll have energy to get back into BJJ!!!

I hear you housecat, I had to give up the liquor for lent also. :raspberry: But that will be reinstated on day 41!!!

Thanks guys for being there. I really really appreciated it!