Quit Smoking Support thread

What’s going on with Namahottie now . . .

The Healing Begins…
When you quit smoking, the benefits begin within minutes of your last cigarette.

At 20 minutes after quitting:

blood pressure decreases
pulse rate drops
body temperature of hands and feet increases.

At 8 hours:

carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
oxygen level in blood increases to normal

At 24 hours:
chance of a heart attack decreases

At 48 hours:

nerve endings begin regrowth
ability to smell and taste improves

The Improvements Continue…
The benefits of quitting smoking are just beginning.

Between 2 weeks and 3 months:
circulation improves
walking becomes easier
lung function increases
The worst of nicotine withdrawal symptoms subside within the first month.

From 5 to 15 years…
At 5 years smoke-free:
from 5 to 15 years after quitting tobacco, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.
Paul’s Story - How a Stroke Changed His Life
At 10 years smoke-free:
risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers
risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases
risk of ulcers decreases
At 15 years smoke-free:
risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked
risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked

Wish that there was a link for life :laughing:

Between ages 36 to 40
you’ll get wiser
people stop telling you bs
your income will increase
the worst of your early years will subside with fame, fortune and glory :laughing:

Go grrrl!

HG

Ha! What a fantasy. I would appriciate a link for when, if ever, men actually grow up.

I just got my youth back, a little, yesterday. I don’t know for sure how long I’ve been a year ahead, but I know it all started when I aged three years in the four months I spent in S. Korea. Anyway, since my birthday, which NO ONE has given a damn about for the last four years, well, almost no one ever cares anyway, but I mean, no one even remembered the last four years, I’ve though I was 37. Turns out, I’m 36. I never bothered to do the math.

I can’t tell you how much younger and more healthful I feel already, and I’ve only been a year younger for two days!

[quote=“housecat”]Ha! What a fantasy. I would appriciate a link for when, if ever, men actually grow up.

I just got my youth back, a little, yesterday. I don’t know for sure how long I’ve been a year ahead, but I know it all started when I aged three years in the four months I spent in S. Korea. Anyway, since my birthday, which NO ONE has given a damn about for the last four years, well, almost no one ever cares anyway, but I mean, no one even remembered the last four years, I’ve though I was 37. Turns out, I’m 36. I never bothered to do the math.

I can’t tell you how much younger and more healthful I feel already, and I’ve only been a year younger for two days![/quote]

Wait!! We missed your bday!?!?!?! DRAGONBOOOOOONNNNNNESSSS

Keep it up, Nama!It’s hard, but you have the strength to do it!

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“housecat”]

Between 2 weeks and 3 months:
circulation improves
walking becomes easier
lung function increases
The worst of nicotine withdrawal symptoms subside within the first month.
[/quote]

Wish that there was a link for life :laughing:

Between ages 36 to 40
you’ll get wiser
people stop telling you bs
your income will increase
the worst of your early years will subside with fame, fortune and glory :laughing:[/quote]

Hey Namma,

You know I used to be a 2+pack a day smoking fool…And I’ve been clean 11months now.

Do it, and never look back. The hell with 40days, just walk away from it. I did.

The urges will lessen greatly over time…but surprisingly won’t ever entirely go away. What will go away is your horrible smell, your bad breath, your wheezing lungs, your out-of-breathness, your smelly hands…Wait until your taste buds come back for good. :slight_smile:

I needed this much time to declare myself a non-smoker. But you have no idea how good it feels to be able to say that out loud…For real.

The worst is already over…Don’t give up!

Way to go Namahottie! Congrats!

Farkin’ A MJB!

HG

Namahottie,

Would you mind sharing some details?

Such as:

How much did you used to smoke?
How long were you a smoker?
What did you do to prepare to quit?
What helped you?
What didn’t?
What was the first day like?
And the next?
Does it get easier in a straight line or is it fits and starts?

Much appreciated.

And, congratulations!

Well I stopped smoking 36 days ago, but in the meantime have smoked three times in that time period. After two or three beers in each case. Last time I smoked was Chinese New Years Eve (last week). I have checked around in the internet, and have found claims that when you drink alcohol it enhances the feeling from smoking plus you loose inhibitions, so when you drink you are more likely to slip and smoke. Other than that I am fine. I almost daily get an urge/impulse to smoke, but this fades away after about 15 mins, and it does seem to be getting better. I have had a number of dreams involving smoking and Marlboro. My sinuses are not blocked and I am eating breakfast

Last year I had planned to give up in May, but I judged it not to be the right time (but then when is the right time I guess). Has planned to quite at the New Year, but was sick over the New Years period, so did not stop smoking (have the last smoke) until the second week of January. Was going well for two weeks, and then met up in a bar with a few friends who are smokers, and after a few drinks smoked three cigarettes. Same for the second time and third time I smoked. Therefore I am trying to reduce but not avoid meeting friends who smoke, and will not meet them at a bar. I am not pissed at myself, a little disappointed and know it is my own fault for creating the circumstances for me to smoke, and have learned my lesson I hope. I am trying to avoid giving justification or absolution for my relapse by saying it was the beer or the casual smoker having 2 or 3. I do not believe there is anything such as the causal or 5 per day smoker. A guy I work with because of high blood pressure/bad health has cut down to 5 a day, but from going to lunch with him he seems to spend a lot of time wishing his life away to when he can have that next cigarette.

In the past with attempts to quit I always went back smoking at about the 6 week mark. At such time I think you start leaving your guard down or smoke a few to prove you are not addicted. But nearly 16 years ago smoking a few ended up in smoking a pack a day for nearly half my life. So no more slips or experiments for me with one or two cigarettes.

Another thing I have found from reading on the internet is that people who stop smoking wait for something to happen or something to change at some point after they quit, but nothing happens, and they end up feeling left down, and can slide back into smoking. So when you quite be prepared for nothing to happen, except maybe the occasional urge to smoke and an empty/hungry feeling

The half life of nicotine is 2 hours, so from the time you smoke your last cigarette the decrease is as follows.

TIME (HRS) % in body

0 100.000000000000000000000000000000%
1 50.000000000000000000000000000000%
2 25.000000000000000000000000000000%
4 6.250000000000000000000000000000%
8 0.390625000000000000000000000000%
12 0.024414062500000000000000000000%
24 0.000005960464477539060000000000%
36 0.000000001455191522836690000000%
48 0.000000000000355271367880050000%
60 0.000000000000000086736173798840%
72 0.000000000000000000021175823681%
84 0.000000000000000000000005169879%
96 0.000000000000000000000000001262%
132 0.000000000000000000000000000000%
So after about 3 to 4 days there is almost zero nicotine in your body. I cannot find a definitive answer on how long it takes your body to stop searching/ asking for nicotine, but I assume from the time zero HRS it is been forced to readjust to being without nicotine. And from what MJB said, your body/mind will always in some way or amount have nicotine on its mind, so vigilance to stop slipping back is required, but this comes easier with time

That’s a very good point, and one worth stressing. All the best to you too, dude!

HG

That’s a very good point, and one worth stressing. All the best to you too, dude!

HG[/quote]

Yeah, experimentation can be a bad thing. I didn’t smoke until I was 18. Went backbacking alone in Turkey after tending bar for the summer at a family friend’s pub in Manchester. Got bored waiting for minbuses at various cities within Turkey, so I started smoking to pass the time. I’ve quit for two years (after a leukemia scare in 2003) but started up again last year.

[quote=“TNT”]
In the past with attempts to quit I always went back smoking at about the 6 week mark. At such time I think you start leaving your guard down or smoke a few to prove you are not addicted… So no more slips or experiments for me with one or two cigarettes.[/quote] I realized that after being able to stick it out after my first “test”— stress that usually triggers it. I realized 1) I will always be " a smoker" until it transforms in my mind 2) I won’t judge people who say “Hi, I’m an alcoholic” even though they’ve been sober for 15 years.

I don’t say this to say, I’m right/you’re wrong… After 7 days, I’ve noticed the distinct cat piss odor that was probably always there, since there are no cats in my building. My house has stayed clean for 7 days. I’ve actually lost some weight. My mental attitude is totally different.

Now this may change after 40 days. But I’m hoping not…

thanks for sharing your story and best of luck JIA YOU!!!

I’m still feeling the urge to smoke, but I know it’s not physical. It’s more mental. Which sucks.
Key thing I’m learning is not to be around people who are negative. I just walked from dealing with a very very negative family member, and that urge to smoke, to let of steam by smoking is fired up. But what’s that gonna do.

So I sit here and suck on peppermint candy and pray. The upside to this is learning not to allow people to work your nerves. :laughing:

It may suck (pun intended) now, Nama, but what I read from this post is not that you were irritated and felt the urge to smoke, but rather that you MANAGED TO RESIST IT. Which is another battle you’ve won, don’t you think? :slight_smile:

You said it! purely mental,

Get out of the house, go to the pool or gym and expend some energy. You won’t need one after, and your mind will be clearer to deal with negative people.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

thanks tash and Limey. :slight_smile:

I did just that. I came home, ate a late breakfast, then took a nap before interviewing this great woman Diana Washington Valdez got out the house, went to the Chinese meet up group. had a few laughs, then dinner, more laughs, and then came home to do some work.

And I got tested–some guy was smoking in front of me and I didn’t have the urge for even a drag. Whoo Hooo!!!

[quote=“Namahottie”]thanks tash and Limey. :slight_smile:
And I got tested–some guy was smoking in front of me and I didn’t have the urge for even a drag. Whoo Hooo!!![/quote]

I think you’ll be surprised how little your desire has to do with other people lighting up in front of you, but it is still a victory to be savored.

I cheated a bit, by starting my journey in a place I’ve never smoked before, and therefore having no association with smoking in the physical locale I was in. What you are doing is much tougher in my opinion, and frankly I’m not sure whether or not I could have done it.

The real test for me was once I returned home and faced daily routines where I’d normally be a human torch. You’ve already proven that you can face these daily tests and pass them. That takes some stones.

:notworthy:

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“Namahottie”]thanks tash and Limey. :slight_smile:
And I got tested–some guy was smoking in front of me and I didn’t have the urge for even a drag. Whoo Hooo!!![/quote]

I think you’ll be surprised how little your desire has to do with other people lighting up in front of you, but it is still a victory to be savored.

I cheated a bit, by starting my journey in a place I’ve never smoked before, and therefore having no association with smoking in the physical locale I was in. What you are doing is much tougher in my opinion, and frankly I’m not sure whether or not I could have done it.

The real test for me was once I returned home and faced daily routines where I’d normally be a human torch. You’ve already proven that you can face these daily tests and pass them. That takes some stones.

:notworthy:[/quote]

honey, it also takes a lot of pray and calling on Jesus.

:laughing: