Quitting job and getting new ARC

My question is can I quit my current school and either transfer/get a new ARC without requiring the permission of my old school? I know that you used to have to get permission, however, I’d also heard that the situation had changed and that now it was ok to quit and - so long as you did it within the required time frame - you could get a new ARC without having to either get permission from your old school or leave the country. Am I right or am I wrong?
Some hard knowledge on the situation would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

from what i understand the new rules are as follows:

if you want to leave your school, get hired by another school. have them apply for an ARC for you. once you get the new arc, you can quit the first school and they can cancel the arc they provided you with. since you’ll already have an ARC (or an application that;s being processed) you won’t have to leave the country.
that’s what i’ve gathered on tealit on their contract thread.

hope that helps

that’s what i’m planning on doing in august

Yes you can. Previously you may have had concerns with whether or not your old school would blacklist you, but this does not seem to be a concern any longer. Provided that you don’t anything illegal, you should have no trouble getting a new ARC.

[quote=“Dial”] I know that you used to have to get permission, however, I’d also heard that the situation had changed and that now it was ok to quit and - so long as you did it within the required time frame - you could get a new ARC without having to either get permission from your old school or leave the country. Am I right or am I wrong?
Some hard knowledge on the situation would be much appreciated. [/quote]

It’s all very new, but the experiences of some who have done this seem to bear this out.

You can do as bushibanned suggested and get the new employer added first or you can just start from scratch, depending upon how much time you have before your current ARC expires. Once it expires you can’t renew it and will need to get a new one.

You only have until the old school cancels your ARC, as far as I understand it. If you quit and they cancel your ARC you have to leave the country within 10 days.

I’d definitely first get a new job with a new employer before quitting. Once they are on your ARC your old school cannot cancel your ARC.

To be technical, you need a new work permit, not a new ARC. After recieving your new work permit, the information is added to your existing ARC. You can then quit your old job and they will cancel your old work permit but because of your new work permit your ARC will continue to be valid.

Thanks to all for the replies.
The ideal scenario is that I simply give notice at my current school and at the same time sign up to my new school. If all goes smoothly that is how it will run. The rub is that the ‘government’ requires that I give some sort of official confirmation that I am leaving one job for another. And this confirmation must come from my boss at the work place I am leaving. (so my new school informs me) And if this boss decides, ‘f$% it’ he’s not getting a letter of termination from me, then… its fly to Bangkok/Hong Kong time. Or so my new school has told me, although they don’t seem 100 percent sure themselves. Does all the above sound correct?

[quote=“Dial”]Thanks to all for the replies.
The ideal scenario is that I simply give notice at my current school and at the same time sign up to my new school. If all goes smoothly that is how it will run. The rub is that the ‘government’ requires that I give some sort of official confirmation that I am leaving one job for another. And this confirmation must come from my boss at the work place I am leaving. (so my new school informs me) And if this boss decides, ‘f$% it’ he’s not getting a letter of termination from me, then… its fly to Bangkok/Hong Kong time. Or so my new school has told me, although they don’t seem 100 percent sure themselves. Does all the above sound correct?[/quote]
That’s no longer correct. It was the case before.

At present you can get a work permit for your new school while you still have one at your old school. You can have more than one legal employer at a time. tealit.com/arc_transfers_and … etters.htm

So, get hired and get a work permit, get your ARC amended to include your new school, then give notice at your old school. Work until your old school’s contract terms for termination are done (or negotiate an early release) and then your done.

Puiwaihin (hope I spelt that right), yes I was aware of your suggested option: two schools on one ARC then quitting school #1. And its not a bad one. However, it would require the consent of my first school to put another school on the ARC. And after gaining that consent I’m only gonna turn around and zai jian them. I would do that if I had to but it seems a little sneaky and I’d like to avoid sneakiness when I can. Instead, today I gave them three weeks and a promise to help find a replacement. They are quite naturally distraught that I’m leaving (ha ha) appreciate my new job has much more to offer and seem happy enough to hold my ARC open while I make the change.
Thanks again.

No, you don’t need their consent. At least, that’s what I’ve been told a few times.

I recently quit one job for another and it was easy because I gave a months notice which gave my new employer time to get me another permit on my ARC.

My question now is: This new job blows and I am either going to get fired or not being to take the abuse much longer and quit. I do not have anything lined up at the moment, so I am wondering what kind of grace perion I get if I quit.

thanks

[quote=“forumcraig”]I recently quit one job for another and it was easy because I gave a months notice which gave my new employer time to get me another permit on my ARC.

My question now is: This new job blows and I am either going to get fired or not being to take the abuse much longer and quit. I do not have anything lined up at the moment, so I am wondering what kind of grace perion I get if I quit.

thanks[/quote]
Sounds like where I tried working in Taoyuan.

Once you quit you don’t really have any grace period. Line something up ASAP.

thanks for the info