Quitting work, ARC cancelled. Visitor visa still valid?

My work had me enter Taiwan by getting a visitor visa (expires in 2013), and then when I started working they applied for my ARC. I never had a work visa or resident visa, as far as I know. I’m now quitting my buxiban job and thus losing my ARC.

After I quit my job I want to stay in Taiwan for another 6 months (finish out my apartment lease, travel, etc). As far as I understand, if my multiple-entry 60 day visitor visa is still valid, then I can just make a visa run every 60 days until my half year is up.

If it’s not valid anymore, I can apply for a new Taiwanese visitor visa in a foreign country I visit. Then when I return with the new visitor visa, I can do visa runs every 60/30 days (as long as the new visa is multiple re-entry).

Is this basically correct? Does anyone know if my visitor visa is valid or not?

If you have/had an ARC, you would have needed to get a resident visa first, which would mean the visitor visa was cancelled. At least, I think that’s how it works.

Can’t have an ARC without a resident visa.

So I would need to get a new visitor visa? I know that a visitor visa can be used only 180 days. If I get a new one, then this 180 days is reset, correct?

Also, something I’m not clear on, is the 180 days the maximum for one visit for visas with extensions (60 days plus two 60-day extensions), or for all visit-time total on that visa? So as long as I leave Taiwan once every 60 days, I can do that as many times as I please until my visa expires, or can I only be in Taiwan 180 days total before that visa expires?

[quote=“foxfaction”]My work had me enter Taiwan by getting a visitor visa (expires in 2013), and then when I started working they applied for my ARC. I never had a work visa or resident visa, as far as I know. I’m now quitting my buxiban job and thus losing my ARC.

After I quit my job I want to stay in Taiwan for another 6 months (finish out my apartment lease, travel, etc). As far as I understand, if my multiple-entry 60 day visitor visa is still valid, then I can just make a visa run every 60 days until my half year is up.

If it’s not valid anymore, I can apply for a new Taiwanese visitor visa in a foreign country I visit. Then when I return with the new visitor visa, I can do visa runs every 60/30 days (as long as the new visa is multiple re-entry).

Is this basically correct? Does anyone know if my visitor visa is valid or not?[/quote]

The work visa is never “given” to you, but rather to the employer. You did have to have it if you were working here legally.

Again: IMPORTANT
The date on your ARC is just a reference. Your ARC expires when your boss cancels teh work permit, on a date you may or not be aware or informed of. It does not depend on when you quit, either. This has to be very clear between you and your boss, or you will find yourself illegally in the country and having to pay a fine.

There is a maximum to teh number of time syou can apply for a visitor visa.

With a 60 day multiple entry visa you can leave/enter Taiwan during the validity period of the visa any time, if you time it correctly you can stay 59 days after it’s validity period is over by entering 1 day before it expires … or they must have made a special rule or law to prevent that …
With a 1 year 60 day multiple entry you could come and go until the day before it expires and still be 59 days after expiration in Taiwan …

That’s how I did it back in the good old non-ARC days