Quiz: Are you older than dirt?

How many do you remember?

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
Ratings at the bottom.

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.

Emergency brake was a ratchet pull out lever under the dashboard.

Real ice boxes.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Blackjack chewing gum

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

Candy cigarettes

Drug store penny candy counters

Condoms only sold at the pharmacy and purchased from an old guy in a white coat with a scowl and a key around his neck that opened the drawer where they were safeguarded.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

Party lines

Newsreels before the movie

P.F. Flyers

Butch wax

TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there
until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels)

Peashooters

Howdy Doody

45 RPM records

greenstamps

Hi-fi’s

Metal ice trays with lever

Mimeograph paper

Blue flashbulb

Packards

Roller skate keys

2 holer outhouses with Monkey Wards catalogue for tissue

Cork popguns

Drive-ins

Studebakers

Wash tub wringers

Olympia Beer

Counting the spots on the back of the Oly label (a label with 4 got you laid)

Sock Hops in the Gym

Nash Ramblers with fold down seats

Getting lucky in the back seat of a car made in the 40’s

Bottle openers called “churchkeys”

Only the Shadow Knows radio show

Rabbit ears

An ounce lid (grass, for all you younguns) was $10.00 U.S.

If you remembered 0-5 = You’re still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don’t tell your age,
If you remembered 16 + = You’re older than dirt!

Feel free to add your own

:laughing: Fifteen. ALMOST older than dirt.

If LPs are making a comeback, why can’t 45’s?

19 - I guess I am older than dirt…

I know, however, that a number of the items on this list were still in use in the 1980’s.

I used a wringer washer in the early 80’s, used to shop for 45 RPM’s with my husband in the mid eighties and the local Chinese restaurant still used those table top jukeboxes when I was last in Castlegar three years ago.

It has just dawned on me that the eighties were nearly 30 years ago… I really AM older than dirt!

OK. I’ll bite, but you can still buy candy cigarettes in Taipei so they don’t count.

Using a crank handle to start the tractor.

Uhm, I guess non North American’s needn’t apply…
I don’t even know what half of the crap on that list is supposed to be, and I’m not that young any more…

14, but a lot of them were things found in my grandmother’s house, not used by me. Mom used an old ringer washer for a while. I do remember a tracter with a crank start. Mom’s car when we were kids used to have headlight dimmer switch in the floor and the pull out break under the dash.

Yep, candy cigs are still sold in Taiwan. I bought a gross once, just cause I could. What a horrible, horrible thing, though. These days, here in the states, that’d be like selling candy crack or LSD stamps. Candy beer?

HOLY CRAP! 25! But maybe I’m just older than dust, because my grandparents were older than dinosaur poop when I was born and had a lot of that stuff around, so I was exposed to it.
My first pair of skates clamped onto my hard soled black leather school shoes.
My friends and I digging through trash, under the house, and garages to find returnable soda bottles to buy a bag full of gum and chocolate.
Malls weren’t invented yet.
Watching Neil Armstrong step foot on the moon.
Only rich people had color TV.
Polaroid cameras where you had to pull the black and white photo out, let it sit for 60 seconds, peel, then wipe it with a preservative solution on a stick.
Wait a minute…my first camera was a Browny Hawkeye that my parents gave me when they bought the Polaroid.

I was born in the 80s and I got 11 … my parents were kinda old school though. (farm, no elec. etc…)

Cars with doors hinged in reverse.

opening and closing the lift doors manually (after checking that you really were at the correct floor)

hand pumping oil into the heads, and advancing/retarding the timing manually while on the move (a real motorcycle, with footboard for a brake, and gear change lever by your knee, operated by hand)

Flannel sheets in the winter. Flour sack pillow cases and the feathers inside the pillow were from your pet chickens. Sleeping with you brothers and sisters in one bed because it was much warmer. Chamber pot under the bed.
Teggs, we need to talk. sounds like a similar upbringing with no electricity.

I got nine and that as a non american. :astonished: I guess it’s getting closer and closer, althought I grow up in the country side, so maybe that helped to it.

Outside toilet, newspaper toilet paper, and having to empty a bucket of human shit as a chore.