Quote of the day

I’m testing if mods don’t like factual posts.

:thinking:

2 Likes

What

Dammit Maddie, you just temporarily broke my :heart: embargo against the cow! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

“A person with only one theory is lost. He must have several, four, many! He must stuff his pockets with them as if they were newspapers, always the latest, one can live nicely among theories, one can be snugly housed among theories. If one is to get on, one needs to know that there are lots of theories.”

– Bertolt Brecht

1 Like

They’re stealing my likes…

“People are strange: they are constantly angered by trivial things, but on a major matter like totally wasting their lives, they hardly seem to notice.”

–Charles Bukowski

3 Likes

“Words still have meanings, even in our days of the computer.”

–Donald Cammell (1970)

1 Like

“Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”

–Horace Walpole

2 Likes

“Why wasn’t friendship as good as a relationship? Why wasn’t it even better? It was two people who remained together, day after day, bound not by sex or physical attraction or money or children or property, but only by the shared agreement to keep going, the mutual dedication to a union that could never be codified.”

― Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life

4 Likes

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”

–Oscar Wilde

1 Like

“If I were a different kind of person, I might say that this whole incident is a metaphor for life in general: things get broken, and sometimes they get repaired, and in most cases, you realize that no matter what gets damaged, life rearranges itself to compensate for your loss, sometimes wonderfully.”

― Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

2 Likes

–Freidrich Neitzsche

2 Likes

“When you go to woman, take thy whip.”- Nietzsche
Or, as has been said said, any woman Nietzsche took a whip to would take it off him pretty smartly and beat his ass with it- see Salome, Lou.

3 Likes

“Educate the children and it won’t be necessary to punish the men.”
-Pythagoras

4 Likes

“Time is the substance I am made of. Time is a river that sweeps me away, but I am the river; it is a tiger that destroys me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire.”

–Jorge Luis Borges

3 Likes

This comes from Bertrand Russell originally.

1 Like

Yeah- being a 19th Century member of the aristocracy, he didn’t say “beat his ass”- too declasse.

Was at another site, and they were talking about people who lived long lives and seem to have come from another century. Brought to mind an interview with Russell just before he died in 1970. The interviewer remarked on some problem with communism, and Russell replied “That’s exactly what I said to Lenin, but I couldn’t get him to see it”.

3 Likes