Rabies outbreak in Taiwan!

That whole fear of water symptom would be really tough for a dolphin, wouldn’t it?

Hell, yeah!

hmm, we have bats, 1 lives in our living room. 2 times i have chased it long enough to catch it, now realizing that was dumb.

Can i walk into a bigger hospital (Kaohsiung area) and ask the travel doc about “rabies PEP shot” in English? Is that the real name? I will be in Canada for one month, would it be better to get it there? my last vaccine i got here was made in Canada, so i assume they are all fairly uniform in quality?

So, does this mean that we can dispense with the notion that growling, snarling feral dogs are merely misunderstood and you should allow them to bite you freely lest you be labeled a hater?

My understanding, perhaps mistaken, is that people called rabies “hydrophobia” because the early symptoms include some trouble with controlling throat muscles, which makes it hard for an infected animal to swallow.

That is partly true, but is accompanied by a real, violent fear of water. A literal hydrophobia.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … -tests.htm

This man got bitten by his pet ferret (the ferret died the next day) and has tested POSITIVE for rabies !

Why the sudden resurgence of rabies in wild ferrets? I venture to say that perhaps rabies was NOT actually eradicated island wide and that a pocket of ferrets had been carrying the disease all this time?

TAiwan is now taken off the list of countries with no rabies.

Which means that if an animal is being sent to another country, quarantine is now required.

I’m guessing it got back in by ferrets or animals smuggled in from elsewhere. If any dogs get it all hell is going to break loose.

then

Great journalism. Not.

They want you to believe it’s pets. Time to find a comfortable hospital room (single room) and have someone push a bed in front of the door from the outside. Which keeps it locked until the worst is over. :neutral:

Somewhere across the Strait? :whistle:

Yep, the situation with dogs will be dire. Not only is there the real danger the Gov’t will panic and start madly culling strays, but we know that they can stoop to even taking pet dogs away -a la SARS. Not good.

And let’s not forget that hopefully they are bringing in the vaccines from elsewhere different than China -remember reports of false vaccines, especially rabies.

Taiwan Reports First Imported Case Of Rabies Of 2013 In Filipino Worker

Sp they have it from time to time… hence they should have some more vaccine

If it’s advanced enough to require hospitalization, it’s already too late. You can try the Milwaukee Protocol, but even that has a success rate of about 8%.

Here is a good example what to watch out for in domestic and wild animals.
Most importantly, the strange balancing should warn anyone not to get too close to that animal, in this case, cat.

so sad, best not to let it suffer and put it down i guess :frowning:

sad all around.

Damn, I will run from every animal that walks funny now.

What we know
3 dead ferret-badgers have tested positive for rabies

What we know we don’t know

how/where these creatures were infected (one is said to have come from an ‘amusement centre’ in Nantou. What does that mean?)
has the virus spread - the estimated affected %age of Taiwan’s ferret-badger population
indeed, has the virus spread to other species
how contained this outbreak is

What are the government saying on this important issue?

fixed the dead badger count

Focus Taiwan claims the ferrett was not a pet, rather a wild animal intruding on a farm.

:slight_smile:

Thanks, Jack.