Rabies outbreak in Taiwan!

I’m less worried about being bitten by a stray dog, than being then denied the rabies vaccine in some nearby hospital because it’s ‘impossible that dogs in this area are affected’. Yeah, right, that would be ferret-badger russian roulette, that would.

Given the circumstances, I dont think that will be a problem.

You’re using logic, though.

But when the logic of reason squares with the logic of fear, reason prevails.

One hopes so.

Is that in Taiwan?

anyone going to the zombie run?

They have Zombie Walk here? Nice. The one in Vancouver was fun.

Has anyone seen the big adds in the MRT warning of Rabies? It has about 5 photos of the ferret breeds that were effected(??), plus a silhouette of a man and a dog that warns not to let them bite you below the knee or something.

So when will those breeds of ferrets become extinct then?

Here is the oneI saw in Gongguan MRT:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just a reminder that this problem is still somewhat a concern

So what exactly do you do if you get bitten by a wild or stray animal in Taiwan? Back home, I’d go to the doctor and ask for a rabies vaccine. Can you do that here? Will the NHS, being a little slow, give you a rabies vaccine quickly if you need to get a rabies vaccine?

There wasa serious shortage -being not deemed necessary until, well, when it was. I fear the red tape to get the vaccine.

I seem to recall that in the ol country rabies and tetanus vaccine is inyected directly into the wound. Is that standard?

According to some states’ Department of Health you do inject the wound with the globulin ( health.state.mn.us/divs/idep … osure.html)

“Infiltrate as much of the HRIG [Human Rabies Immune globulin] as possible into and around the bite wound.”

So I would assume that is standard procedure.

They should use immune globulin for a rabies bite, in addition to the vaccine if you haven’t received the vaccine before according to the site I posted. Wonder if they have the immune globulin in Taiwan.

I was always lead to believe that there was NO retrospective cure for Rabies. If you’re bitten by a rabid animal, without prior vaccination, you will die, end of!

Before leaving the UK, I had a whole bunch of vaccinations, all of which I had to pay for. I could have had a Rabies shot but, was told that Taiwan was Rabies free and due to the cost of £90.00 (Almost 5000NT$), I politely declined.

And the news comes back every summer. Just a heads up, wild animals belong in the forest, not in the soup.

Taipei, May 22 (CNA) A ferret badger that bit two people in Tainan last Thursday has tested positive for rabies, the city’s Animal Health Inspection and Prevention Office said Monday.

The office said the two people were bitten on their index fingers and toes in the city’s Baihe District (白河區) and sent to the hospital to get rabies vaccines and immunoglobulin injections.

Tainan has had three cases of ferret badgers biting people this year, taking place in Nanhua (南化), Guanmiao (關廟) and Baihe districts, respectively.

The people bitten in Nanhua were unable to bring the ferret badger that bit them in for tests, but the animals tested positive for rabies in two other districts.

Health officials have called for the public to be on guard and send their pets at home for regular vaccinations.

After being rabies-free for 52 years, Taiwan saw the virus resurface among ferret-badgers in 2013.

Keep your pets vaccinated, do not engage ferrets if found -hopefully in the wild- and for Pete’s sake, if you do not trust meat you buy at the supermarket then you shouldn’t have bush meat here in Taiwan either.

So now it has spread from Taitung to Tainan, still in the South, so as per the gubbmmits standards, if it is not Taipei that is affected, there is no problem.

Great, like I don’t got enough problems…

2 Likes

Hualien

A new case of rabies confirmed in Yushan National Park this month, at Tataja/ Tataka trailhead area. Sorry I don’t have a better link at the moment:
https://www.facebook.com/162987350510496/posts/1754422318033650/

1 Like