Rabies Vaccination

Hi! I’m going to Taipei for my studies soon and I plan on volunteering in animal shelters. Does anybody know which hospitals in Taipei provide antirabies vaccination, mainly Verorab? Thanks!

No, but there animal shelters are very professional and can assist.

By the way, there is no rabies in northern Taiwan.

I think only 1 case ever of animal to human transmissions in taiwan? And I don’t think ever a documented case in dogs or cats. Only like ferret type animals or something. Not that you shouldn’t take precautions

Aren’t the rules for cats and dogs different? I vaguely remember being told that it is required for dogs, but voluntary for cats, since the vaccine can cause cancer in cats.

My parents are really paranoid about me volunteering in animal shelters because rabies is fairly common here. So they want me to get vaccinated just as a precaution.

Who told you rabies is common here? It’s extremely rare here and was completely eradicated until very recently with some in cases in southern taiwan in ferrets. and the first and only documented case of animal to human was like recently.

I think they’re confusing taiwan as part of China. Rabies is common in china. Not taiwan. We had no idea rabies was even on the island until a couple years ago. And since then, it’s been pretty much taken care and only random ones pop up in wild animals likely from infections from people smuggling in animals in like from china.

Taiwan has always been a model of rabies prevention. We had no cases of rabies in animals or humans for 52 years until some recently. And non in dogs or cats.

I really hate it when people confuse taiwan as china. China sucks with their rabies which is also probably why rabies came. Them communist always smuggling animals here. We are nothing like china here with their rabies and people taking dumps in the middle of the street.

I apologize for the confusion. When I said “here” I mean here at my home country, Indonesia, and not Taiwan. Rabies is fairly common here in Indonesia, so my desire to volunteer in an animal shelter in Taiwan has caused distress and paranoia to my parents due to our situation. I apologize once again for the mix up.

@Ruriin wondering if you got an answer to this. I’m in Bali now and got bitten by a monkey! It’s a preventative measure, but better safe then sorry. They’d administer Verorab here but I’ll be in Taiwan by the time I should get the 4th one. I hope you can help!

Hey! Yes, I’ve managed to get my Verorab vaccination shots here in Taipei. I got mine administered in National Taiwan University Hospital’s emergency room. If you’re not going to be in Taipei, there’s a list of hospitals that provide rabies vaccination, you can find it here: http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/submenu.aspx?treeid=e79c7a9e1e9b1cdf&nowtreeid=0c6acf1cc21b78c5
Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the prompt reply!! So glad to hear Verorab is also available there.

@Ruriin actually just to be absolutely clear… you also specifically had Verorab or did they administer a different kind of vaccine? Just want to triple check. Thank you again!

Yes! I had Verorab as well.

@Ruriin thank you thank you! Were you able to just show up and get it administered? or did you have to give them a heads-up that you needed Verorab specifically? Really appreciate your prompt responses. This will help me relax (slightly) during my vacation in bali. I got bitten on day 1!!!

Yes, I just showed up and told them that I wanted to get Verorab administered, no appointment needed. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for this information. As you can imagine I was freaking out on vacation, on day 1 no less. It’s hard to research information when I can’t write in Chinese. I hope you’re enjoying your time in Taiwan. It is my motherland. :slight_smile: But left when I was a kid.