Racial violence hits Taiwan

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … etween.htm

Oh boy, trouble city. Viet and Thai laborers get into it. 3 killed. Are they going to be able to put a lid on it, or will this spread to more violence among the Viets and Thais in Taiwan?

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/Taoyuan/2009/11/07/231753/Argument-between.htm

Oh boy, trouble city. Viet and Thai laborers get into it. 3 killed. Are they going to be able to put a lid on it, or will this spread to more violence among the Viets and Thais in Taiwan?[/quote]

That’s why a lot of companies are increasingly preferring foreign females from places such as Vietnam. They are hardworking, many are Catholic, and they don’t fight in this way.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“tommy525”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/Taoyuan/2009/11/07/231753/Argument-between.htm

Oh boy, trouble city. Viet and Thai laborers get into it. 3 killed. Are they going to be able to put a lid on it, or will this spread to more violence among the Viets and Thais in Taiwan?[/quote]

That’s why a lot of companies are increasingly preferring foreign females from places such as Vietnam. They are hardworking, many are Catholic, and they don’t fight in this way.[/quote]

Ah Chewy, according to the article, one of the four suspects in the arson was female, and most of the casualties were female.

That’s if the CP is correct, which it probably isn’t. :smiley:

NO further incidents of retaliation heard of? Seems the fuzz was able to put a lid on it?

Wow, I didn’t recall that detail, but I did read the article a week or so ago and was struck by the brutality. Bunch of drunken Thais are singing too loudly in karaoke room, so drunken Vietnamese grabs propane bottle from kitchen, disconnects it, lights it and hurls it into other room, before it explodes, causing serious burns to most occupants. Terrible.

Anyway, there may have been women present, but surely the person who lit and hurled the propane cannister was a man – not only due to the physical strength required, but because I can’t fathom a woman doing such a brutal and terrible act.

Could have been Thai katooey labourers. :laughing: :laughing: Yeah, it’s interesting that this story and the drug bust stories have been given no exposure after the original stories.

Taiwan has a lot less drug problems and labour unrest (strikes) than most Western countries, but I really like to see followups to these stories when they do occur. :smiley:

they put a lid on it , probably so the island doesnt erupt with the laborers retaliating against each other. It could set things off. There are what, nearly a million Thais, viets and other South East Asians in Taiwan. And they could go ballistic if not kept under wraps with a horrible incident like this one.

I don’t think it would. I’m not sure if you’ve had the experience of working in a Taiwanese company that employes Southeast Asian labourers, but a majority of them want to be in Taiwan and wouldn’t think of unruly behaviour. They are using the money they make (5X what they could make in their home country) to take care of their families abroad or save money for marriage. They are hardworking, law-abiding, friendly people that are thankful for the opportunity to get ahead.

Maybe reporters aren’t interested – don’t feel it’s newsworthy – because it’s only a bunch of SE Asians who suffered burns over most of their bodies and/or were killed, and not Taiwanese. :s

Meanwhile the handsome, blond-haired, white kid in Florida, who was lit on fire by his classmates still has big media coverage.

news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&c … JoMAy1kTyM

What do they call it (Dead White Girl Syndrome?) when missing white girls make the evening news nationwide and all the dead brown and black-skinned kids never make the news at all? Ho hum.

Yes thats what I understand, and doubly horrible that two groups out to celebrate birthdays end up murdering other people. Its just sad all around. These people work hard and have a tough life being away from home and sometimes things just get too much I suppose.

I hope the person who did this is found and locked away for a long long time.