Racism discussion

I don’t see anything inherently wrong with that, as long as it doesn’t completely define your existence. Seems fine to me to have that be part of your identity.

I just find it really strange. Maybe I’m racist, I see some of these people together and I’m like don’t you know your people slaughtered each other for centuries!!! You’re not allowed to be friends, you shame your ancestors!

It’s current year. Someone, somewhere, will consider someone else a racist, no matter what.

1 Like

That neatly summarizes all that is evil about identity politics.

Screw the ancestors. They’re all dead anyway.

You do realize that works just as well on Europeans/whites, right?

i wouldn’t lump myself in to the same pile as french either. i see what andrew is saying. people in america seem quite hung up on race. they should get out more, they will get more perspective as other people view them as american first.

The Angry Asian Man blog is run by some Chinese guy, but makes a point of getting offended by slights against any kind of Asian (including Sikhs). Who are all assumed to belong together in the big tent of the Democratic Party, alongside other “People of Color.” So we get posts defending affirmative action even though it hurts Asians, most of whose interests are more broadly aligned with those of whites.

2 Likes

Never mind racist. I didn’t realise six-year-olds were allowed to run for public office.

Is it only me who LOLed at that? That reporter deserves some sort of award for getting that past the Editor’s desk.

I think it’s a good thing that people are expanding their sense of community so that The Other group becomes smaller and smaller. Less chance that way of people “slaughtering each other for centuries”, as Andrew puts it.

Where it all starts to go wrong is when people use it as an excuse to get Angry. The politician talking about “ching chongs” is just a retard, and fortunately the electorate realised that. If we all spent our time getting angry about stupid people we’d have no time for anything else.

Indeed. I remember taunts like that from the playground in elementary school.

I remember “King Kong went to Hong Kong and played ping pong with his ding dong.”

Also “Chinese, Japanese, teacher’s knees, look at these!”
(Variation: “…dirty knees, Christmas trees!”)

I wonder if anyone has ever had a Chinese name that could be romanized as “Ching Chang Chung”?

How about the crafty news intern who slipped fake Korean names onto the telepromter and the anchor read it perfectly. What a punk job!

https://youtu.be/L1JYHNX8pdo

1 Like

Yes, but you have to understand something about America. White people can’t say ANYTHING which could remotely be conceived as racist or racially insensitive, even if it’s backed up by statistics. On the other hand it’s absolutely acceptable for blacks to call white folks cracker, whitey, white trash, etc with no repercussions!

I’m surprised she lost the election and not surprised what she said at all.

2 Likes

I’d say their is way too much conflation of terms. Racism, xenophobia, ethnocentrism, racial discrimination, stereotyping, 等等. Here in Taiwan, I’ve experienced discrimination and stereotyping (to my benefit - as my pink skin gave me advantages in getting jobs - and to my detriment - insofar as it was assumed all white males were into one night stands and was, thus, treated with suspicion). Ethnocentrism is to be observed and is typical of an ancient and heterogeneous society, as is the related phenomenon of xenophobia. Were any of experiences indicative of racism? Taken as a whole, yes. I had one boss who asked me to find a substitute for the time I was going home to finish l visit my family for the summer. I found a suitable teacher and mentioned that the teacher was qualified and a native speaker and gave her the substitute’s name. The boss said that the name didn’t seem to be a white person’s name. I said that it was possible, but shouldn’t matter. After a few seconds she responded, “Well as long as she isn’t too dark, because you know the darker they are the worse they are.” @@!!! Yeah, some Taiwanese are racist (against Caucasoids in terms of their stereotypes and distrusts, and against almost every other race). Some blacks are racist too, as are some aboriginals, some middle easterners, etc. The Taiwanese language had racial slurs for almost any ethnicity, including themselves (地瓜阿;ㄏㄢ ㄐㄧ ㄚ).

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kate-smiths-god-bless-america-out-at-yankee-stadium-over-racist-songs

Been playing her version since after 911.
Took a long time to find something on her.

Most famously, Smith sang a 1931 song, “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” which opened: “Someone had to pick the cotton, Someone had to pick the corn, Someone had to slave and be able to sing, That’s why darkies were born.”

The song, which has been called a satirical take on racism, was a big hit for Smith, and also was recorded by Paul Robeson.

1 Like

Surely they should be suspending the Yankees until they’ve figured out whether holding on to the color line for so long means the club is racist.

They should dig a large pit and bury the entire Philly Flyers team in it.

As fan of another east coast team (no, not the stupid Red Sox), I would support that decision.

1 Like

This just happened to pop up in my YouTube suggestions (which is odd, because I don’t really watch stuff like this). I have no idea who this guy is, but he’s making a pretty good case that “anti-racism” (as it works in America) is a religion.

I’ve come to much the same conclusion in debates with right-on types (no names mentioned) who seem blissfully unaware that they’re just channelling White Man’s Burden rhetoric, and get very emotional when they’re called out on it. At 9:38 is a pretty good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT2rlJe9cuU

3 Likes

His talk made a lot of sense. It’s not just anti-racism that has many things in common with religion; many of the current-year social-justice nonsense regarding gender, diversity etc tends to work in a similar way.

what’s that?

1 Like

Ah, people don’t say that anymore, do they.
SJWs.
But yeah, same pattern of thought (or non-thought) in many other social spheres.

1 Like