Racism in US Politics or Get yer own thread

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Chris”][quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Chris”]I’m also pleasantly surprised to see conservative Forumosans, like jdsmith, applauding this.
Indeed, what IS going on? :slight_smile:[/quote]
You do know who it was that established our national parks system?[/quote]
Teddy Roosevelt, Republican, yes. But the Republican party of a century ago was a far cry from the Republican Party of today.[/quote]Sez you…and the same could be posited regarding the current version of the “Democratic Party” currently in power in the USA.[/quote]

Indeed. The Democratic Party used to be plagued with racists before the 1970s. Then the Dixiecrats fled to the Republican Party when they learned there was no more room for racism in the Democratic Party.

Oh, please.

I grew up in Democratic Pittsburgh. Plenty of racists there… and nearly all of them vote Democrat. The north has plenty of racists, and many of them are Democrats. Boston?

Oh, please.

I grew up in Democratic Pittsburgh. Plenty of racists there… and nearly all of them vote Democrat. The north has plenty of racists, and many of them are Democrats. Boston?[/quote]
I never said racism was exctinct from Democratic voters. Yes, even some Democrats are scum. But you will be hard pressed to find a racist among Democratic legislators, whereas they are more common among Republicans.

Fortunately, racism is gradually disappearing from the GOP with the departure or death of people like Helms, Thurmond, Lott, etc. But it appears that they have an insatiable need to discriminate against someone, so now they’re focusing their energies against gays.

[quote]Democrat Byrd left the Klan in 1943, but continued his association with the group long afterward, and was still publicly calling people “niggers” as recently as 2001. In 1964 Byrd demonstrated his devotion to racial harmony by filibustering the Civil Rights Act for 14 straight hours.

[/quote]

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Chris”][quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Chris”]I’m also pleasantly surprised to see conservative Forumosans, like jdsmith, applauding this.
Indeed, what IS going on? :slight_smile:[/quote]
You do know who it was that established our national parks system?[/quote]
Teddy Roosevelt, Republican, yes. But the Republican party of a century ago was a far cry from the Republican Party of today.[/quote]Sez you…and the same could be posited regarding the current version of the “Democratic Party” currently in power in the USA.[/quote]Indeed. The Democratic Party used to be plagued with racists before the 1970s. Then the Dixiecrats fled to the Republican Party when they learned there was no more room for racism in the Democratic Party.[/quote]Nope…The Demo party is still as racist, IMO even more so, as it has ever been. Still want to keep the mino’s down and in their paocket - whether their color is black or brown (most Asians see this trickery and start & stay Rep unless they are PRC plants in it for the CCP & $$'s).
Same politics…different Plantation.
But this is about a positive environmental move by the US President George W. Bush - thus the diversion and diffusion on the left-wing part…so predicatable.

Interesting. I step in to IP for a look. A thread about a new ocean reserve, is now talking about racism.

As you were.

[quote=“Truant”]Interesting. I step in to IP for a look. A thread about a new ocean reserve, is now talking about racism.As you were.[/quote]Yes, I just pointed this out.

:roflmao:

Senator Ernest Hollings, D-SC --In more recent years Hollings, a senior Democrat senator, has made disparaging racial remarks and slurs against minorities. Senator Hollings, who was a contender for his party’s presidential nomination in 1984, blamed his defeat in the primaries by using a racial slur against Hispanics. After losing the Iowa Straw Poll, Hollings stated “You had wetbacks from California that came in here for Cranston,” referring to one of his opponents, Alan Cranston. A few years later Hollings reportedly used the slur “darkies” to derogatorily refer to blacks. He also once disparagingly referred to the Rainbow PUSH Coalition as the “Blackbow Coalition,” and called former Senator Howard Metzenbaum, who is Jewish, “the Senator from B’nai B’rith.” Hollings gained international criticism for his remarks about the African Delegation to the 1993 Geneva GATT conference, where he crudely remarked “you’d find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they’d just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva.”

Jesse Jackson: Jackson was the featured prime time speaker at the 2000 Democrat Convention. Jackson has a history of using anti-Semitic slurs and derogatorily calling New York City “Hymietown.” Jackson, a prominent self proclaimed “civil rights leader,” is himself guilty of the same bigotry he dishonestly purports to oppose.

Al Sharpton: Sharpton, a perrenial Democrat candidate and one of the rumored candidates for the Democrat’s 2004 presidential nomination, has a notorious racist past. Sharpton was a central figure who fanned the 1991 Crown Heights race riot, where a mob shouting anti-semetic slurs murdered an innocent Jewish man. Sharpton also incited a 1995 protest of a Jewish owned store in Harlem where protesters used several anti-semetic slurs. During the protests, a Sharpton lieutenant called the store’s owner a “bloodsucker” and declared an intent to “loot the Jews.”

Representative Dick Gephardt, D-MO: Gephardt, the former Democrat Minority Leader in the U.S. House of Representatives, gave several speeches to a St. Louis area hate group during his early years as a representative. According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Gephardt spoke before the Metro South Citizens Council, a now defunct white supremacist organization, during his early years as a congressman

Democrat Senators organized the record Senate filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Included among the organizers were several prominent and well known liberal Democrat standard bearers including:

• Robert Byrd, current senator from West Virginia
  • J. William Fulbright, Arkansas senator and political mentor of Bill Clinton
  • Albert Gore Sr., Tennessee senator, father and political mentor of Al Gore. Gore Jr. has been known to lie about his father’s opposition to the Civil Rights Act.
  • Sam Ervin, North Carolina senator of Watergate hearings fame
  • Richard Russell, famed Georgia senator and later President Pro Tempore

The complete list of the 21 Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 includes Senators:

• Hill and Sparkman of Alabama
  • Fulbright and McClellan of Arkansas
  • Holland and Smathers of Florida
  • Russell and Talmadge of Georgia
  • Ellender and Long of Louisiana
  • Eastland and Stennis of Mississippi
  • Ervin and Jordan of North Carolina
  • Johnston and Thurmond of South Carolina
  • Gore Sr. and Walters of Tennessee
  • H. Byrd and Robertson of Virginia
  • R. Byrd of West Virginia

All I see here is folks on either side of the political divide pointing the accusing finger at the other. Not very productive, is it? :laughing: Silly rabbits.

IP = I point. That’s it.

Look closer… :wink:

What this really is, rather, is a couple of responses to unfair generalizations used to describe conservatives… i.e., first that we (conservatives) care little for the environment and second that the Republican party is somehow home to more racist legislators than is the Democratic party.

I think the conservatives have been quite productive in refuting the generalizations. :sunglasses:

I point? I thought it stood for I pee. As in into the wind.

Yeah, me too, ya big sillybilly poopieheads. :raspberry:

[/quote][/quote]

Then? Or now?

Byrd renounced his involvement with the KKK long ago. He hasn’t been a racist in decades.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

switch
on
off

jdsheet

[/quote]

Then? Or now?

Byrd renounced his involvement with the KKK long ago. He hasn’t been a racist in decades.[/quote]

2001 was decades ago? Do you think the words “white nigger” were appropriate?

[i]On March 4, 2001, an interview with FOX News Sunday host Tony Snow was aired. In the interview Byrd was asked about race relations: “They are much, much better than they’ve ever been in my lifetime,” Byrd said. “I think we talk about race too much. I think those problems are largely behind us … I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion. I think we try to have good will. My old mom told me, ‘Robert, you can’t go to heaven if you hate anybody.’ We practice that. There are white niggers. I’ve seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I’m going to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I’d just as soon quit talking about it so much.”[10] (archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITIC … byrd.slur/)

When asked about it, Byrd apologized for the language: " ‘I apologize for the characterization I used on this program,’ he said. 'The phrase dates back to my boyhood and has no place in today’s society. […] ‘In my attempt to articulate strongly held feelings, I may have offended people.’ "ibid (archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITIC … yrd.slur/|) [/i]

sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti … rt_C._Byrd

[quote=“Truant”]Interesting. I step in to IP for a look. A thread about a new ocean reserve, is now talking about racism.

As you were.[/quote]
Thread drift is inevitable, especially in IP, where debates tend to break down into mudslinging.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti … rt_C._Byrd[/quote]

Is Byrd’s voting record racist? It’s what you do that truly counts.

People misspeak - look at Bush. At least Byrd had the honesty to apologize for his statement.

A good determiner of which party is less racist is to look at which party those who are targets of racism tend to support.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Chewycorns”]
sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti … rt_C._Byrd[/quote]

Is Byrd’s voting record racist? It’s what you do that truly counts.

People misspeak - look at Bush. At least Byrd had the honesty to apologize for his statement.[/quote]

I thought Bush lied.

Is that racist?

:wink:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]All I see here is folks on either side of the political divide pointing the accusing finger at the other. Not very productive, is it? :laughing: Silly rabbits.[/quote]Wanna discuss racism in Mexican politics? Conejo tontos… :sunglasses: