Racist words

Some prick pm’d me saying “chinaman” was a racisit word. Oh no… someone said a “word” and it hurt my feelings… ow ow ow… don’t hurt me “word”.

chinaman

n 1: offensive terms for a person of Chinese descent [syn: chink, Chinaman] 2: a ball bowled by a left-handed bowler to a right-handed batsman that spins from off to leg [syn: Chinaman]

Princeton University, 1997.

F.Y.I. For all you hippies out their who don’t own a dictionary… the origin of the word dates back to the late 1700’s.

To 90630:

“Chinaman” is a perfectly okay word. It’s just like Frenchman, Dutchman, etc., …and “Chinawoman” is okay, too. I guess. Just don’t say “Ch-INK”… [computer censored original spelling…]

Formosa, I suggest you look at a few dictionaries and check the definition of Chinaman. Princeton, Webster’s, American Heritage and Encarta all list Chinaman first as an offensive or derogatory term. I’m pretty sure most others do also.

I think’s the chinaman thing is alright. There’s no way to prove how he meant it to be received. Words are only “bad” in context.

For instance I can say:

“Oh, 90382643…, that nigga’s (sorry :blush: making a point) trippin, he’ll be a’yte after he gets warned a few times.”

Depending on where I am and who I’m saying it to, it’s ok or not. Looking at it right now it seems kind of offensive.

He/She does seem to be getting things a bit off topic which I don’t like. He/She also seem to be doing it on purpose as well. These are things I DO think are worth a banning.

Aaargh! What is this? Its not a question of “is it offensive?” It patently is, according to the seven dictionaries I have now consulted. EVERY ONE lists Chinaman as an offensive or derogatory term.

Quite apart from that, it seems plain to me from this guy’s other posts that he is going out of his way to be offensive, so from that point of view, too, then yes, his choice of words is offensive.

And yes, I agree that he appears to be doing it on purpose. Maybe he’s a mod on teatwit getting his own back!

[quote=“sandman”]Aaargh! What is this? Its not a question of “is it offensive?” It patently is, according to the seven dictionaries I have now consulted. EVERY ONE lists Chinaman as an offensive or derogatory term.
[/quote]

I know this and agree. I just wanted to say that she/he getting banned on basis of language alone sounds pretty weak. Just say his pissin you/us off by getting things off topic.

Remember:

Guns (language) don’t (doesn’t) kill (hurt) people, people kill (hurt) people.

[quote=“miltownkid”][quote=“sandman”]Aaargh! What is this? Its not a question of “is it offensive?” It patently is, according to the seven dictionaries I have now consulted. EVERY ONE lists Chinaman as an offensive or derogatory term.
[/quote]

I know this and agree. I just wanted to say that she/he getting banned on basis of language alone sounds pretty weak. Just say his pissin you/us off by getting things off topic.

Remember:

Guns (language) don’t (doesn’t) kill (hurt) people, people kill (hurt) people.[/quote]

Nonsense. Tie up a deaf and dumb man, take away his gun, and see how many people he can hurt.

What?

wait, let me think…

ok

My point is people using the stuff makes it deadly. Guns and words don’t do anything without people. Guns and words can also both be used for “good” or “bad” depending on the person. A like some guns are made for hunting dear some words are made slandering. But depending on the user the roles can be reversed.

But I think you knew what I was saying.

One of my students told me that the term

Taiwanese

was itself racist with the use of the ‘ese’ ending.

So I’m proposing

Taiwanians

as an alternative word for people originating from Taiwan. i’m hoping that’s free from ‘racist’ overtones… :wink:

IMHO

KenTaiwan98

No, the word “Taiwanese” is no more racist than the term “Japanese”, “Genoese”, “Chinese” etc.

Your student might want to check his/hers dictionary.

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]One of my students told me that the term

Taiwanese

was itself racist with the use of the ‘ese’ ending.

So I’m proposing

Taiwanians

as an alternative word for people originating from Taiwan. i’m hoping that’s free from ‘racist’ overtones… :wink:

IMHO

KenTaiwan98[/quote]

I enjoy nothing more than a lecture on the socio-linguistic aspects of my mother tongue from a Taiwanese “expert” (your student, Ken, I’m not having a go at you), and am sure the entire English speaking world is on tenterhooks waiting for your student (and his many compatriots) to turn over the next page in his textbook and make a new ground-breaking discovery about the grossly offensive use of diacritical marks in Five go to Billycock Hill by Enid Blyton or something. (The “Taiwanese” aren’t even a distinct and separate race for Chrissakes ! Shows you the sort of grasp these twats actually have on the issues!)

~sigh~ Not again. :unamused:

Ok, Viennese, Maltese, Martin Scorsese… :wink:

Don’t forget the Obese, too.

And the Manganese.