🚆 Railways | Taiwan Railways (excluding High Speed Rail)

And a lot of mountain to be carved too, not just what has already slipped, but much more that is dangerous needs to be carved out. Courageous people to be working there, hats off to them.

2 Likes

I also saw work on the sea cliff side of rail tracks, south of Jinlun (Taitung) as there was rain (I have not seen rain Kaoshuing a while, dry season started early but crossing the hills got rain)

As a side note the last old trains are running this month, with double the number of carriages this weekend and still standing room only for many. Did not not know they had more carriages active thought it was three only, saw six working (I will try post photos later of the packed trains, it odd having packed train at empty station like Neishi 內獅 which gets 100 boardings a year)

1 Like
1 Like

The small pic makes it looks like snow

TRA is now operational on that stretch, but not yet running normal service, and won’t be for another month:

The landslide buried sections of the railway line, run by Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) between Ruifang and Houtong, beneath 3,800 cubic meters of rock and soil. The line connects Taipei and Yilan County.

[Now operating] trains will be restricted to a maximum speed of 40 kph until system stability is confirmed, which means that journeys will take 5-10 minutes more than usual, Lin [Chia-lung] said.

In addition, trains will only be allowed to travel both ways on the eastern mainline, while the western mainline is still being repaired, with the stability of hill slopes being reinforced, he said.

As a result, normal service will not be resumed for another month, Lin added.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202012140007

Guy

Another terrible TRA accident today. Awful news.

Guy

I seem to recall similar accidents have happened at TRA where maintenance cars don’t know workers
are on the tracks

TRA’s new rolling stock—built by Hyundai Rotem of South Korea—made its first trip today. Full-scale usage of this new train will start on April 4.

Guy

3 Likes

South Koreans built the carriages for the TZe chiang trains the ones pulled by a South African made engine

Replacing the UK made headless brown tze Chiang trains

I don’t know what the latest
Tze chiang trains use

Kinda train buff myself
Love trains

Tommy’s latest motto
Love trains not planes

At least riding in them

1 Like

4 dead, many injured as train derails in tunnel.

1 Like

Sadly, it already has its own thread. Seems many more than 4 dead too.

Tragic train crash April 2nd, hope all are ok - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

1 Like

“bicycles, which are stored on upright racks.”

Stand by for chaos that will ensue with people trying to put their bikes up and take them off upright bike racks while approaching and departing stations.

At the same time taking bags out of and putting bags in whatever baskets on the bike.

I am totally sure roll-on and roll-off would be much more sensible and easier for local trains like these that make lots of stops.

1 Like

36 killed at the moment, people still trapped.

A week after the terrible Taroko crash in Hualien, Taiwan Rail gets more bad news, this time involving a Puyuma train in Taichung:

Guy

Suicide ?

Trains don’t normally just run over people unless
People get in the way

From the article linked above:

Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA), which operates the tilting train, said it was the No. 271 Puyuma that hit the man on the crossing between the Chenggong and Xinwuri stations.

Citing the train’s driver, the TRA said the man was seen squatting on the southbound track with his back facing the train.

RIP.

Guy

Strange way to end one’s life. More likely that people run or jump in front of a train.

1 Like

That’s not TRA’s fault.

2 Likes

After the Hualien accident, a driver who was interviewed said every driver keeps an image of every dog, cat or goat he runs over with his train.

Imagine the trauma of the driver of this train.

1 Like