Rain and Sun in Taipei

Work is bringing me to Taipei this year and I’m starting to freak out about the weather. Yeah, I’m a wuss when it comes to rain and cloudy days. From what I can see, the sun is virtually non-existent for half the year. I’m hard pressed to find a rainier city in Asia. Is it as maddening as it seems?

Learning Mandarin? I can handle it.
New culture? I can handle that too.
No sun? I can’t handle that.

Get used to it :slight_smile:

I think I saw the sun early last Thursday, but it might have been the moon.

Watch movies shot in the Caribbean like I do during Chinese NY!

It was sunny today. Raining now again though. :ohreally: Better get used to it. The high speed rail to the south is cheap enough though. :wink:

this place will be your own personal living hell.

What if we have our own hell already?

Living in Taipei is like living under a saturated, discarded piece of carpet left to rot on the side of the road.
Not just any old carpet, but a boring, grey office carpet.
Which is too small to cover you properly, so your extremities are left to dabble in the cold, damp air.
Which slowly numbs your bones, like the creeping, encompassing spread of a dentist’s anaesthetic to a tooth earmarked for drilling.
Except with far less novelty value.

That was very graphic, Super Hans. I felt the chill in my bones. Where is it a little nicer but still urban? Is the weather ok in Taichung?

That’s plan A.

Easy to ready that in Swanson’s voice.

Back to the rain… is it a cold, wet drizzle of misery or more like warm, April showers? How do you deal with the weather?

[quote=“Super Hans”]Living in Taipei is like living under a saturated, discarded piece of carpet left to rot on on the side of the road.
Not just any old carpet, but a boring, grey office carpet.
Which is too small to cover you properly, so your extremities are left to dabble in the cold, damp air.
Which slowly numbs your bones, like the creeping, encompassing spread of a dentists anaesthetic to a tooth earmarked for drilling.
Except with far less novelty value.[/quote]

That’s what I’d been saying for years. Not as well though.

It almost never rains in Taichung and is sunny almost everyday, good enough? Only drawback is air pollution is a bit worse down here and small town compared to Taipei.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
What if we have our own hell already?[/quote]

One will make the other seem less hellish.

But the mayor said it was comparable to New York. Now I don’t know what to think!

That’s plan A.

Easy to ready that in Swanson’s voice.

Back to the rain… is it a cold, wet drizzle of misery or more like warm, April showers? How do you deal with the weather?[/quote]

The former. Days (that turn into weeks, that turn into months) of cold, wet, drizzly misery. The monotony is occasionally broken by downpours, fog, or heavily overcast (but not drizzly) days.

I grew up in the desert and when we first moved to Taipei, I found the rainy days a fun novelty at first. “Hey, Mom! Did you know it rained more in Taipei today than in does in our hometown in a YEAR?! Isn’t that neat?!” Yeah. The novelty wore off a looooong time ago. Around the time I got super sick with a cold, then bronchitis, then pneumonia because my apartment was so incredibly wet and moldy and cold.

How do I deal with it? I watch movies set in sunny locations…I read weather forecasts for desert-y places and daydream…I wrap up like I’m in the arctic inside my own home…occasionally we hop in the car and drive south until we hit sunshine. On a more practical note, we make use of several dehumidifiers and just try not to think about the nasty weather too much.