Rallies and foriegner bashing/ a danger?

yes, i saw where some people on TV welcomed even lao wai to take part in these rallies (illegal by the way, for most of us) but i would like to bring up a warning:

if what hertzel says is true, TW belongs to the US or at least is under its auspices. what if a-bien doesn’t step down. what if the US raises objections in a way that pisses Tw off? what if this anger is turned against the foriegn population here?

think it can’t happen?i beg to differ. mobs have been shown to be wrong most of the time.i’ll be in TP sometime this week and i’m making sure to stay away from areas where these protests are going on.

down with a-bien. the taiwan people are right to ask him to resign. but i hope things don’t get out of hand and get directed toward us.

I get an email warning from AIT before just about every large-scale demonstration - and the message is always the same. Of course it’s just AIT talking to American citizens, but here’s the latest one:

[quote]August 30, 2006

Dear Warden:

Please distribute the attached advisory to the members of your
warden district.

Thank you for your service to the American community.

Begin text:

Local authorities have informed the American Institute in Taiwan
that a number of demonstrations are scheduled to take place in
Taipei and Kaohsiung over the next several weeks related to the
domestic political situation. The American Institute in Taiwan
would like to remind all U.S. citizens in Taiwan to exercise caution
and to avoid large political gatherings. Even protests intended to
be peaceful can quickly turn into confrontational situations. While
there is no indication that demonstrations will turn violent or that
American citizens or foreigners would be the target of political
violence, U.S. citizens traveling or residing abroad should exercise
good personal security awareness including maintaining a low profile
and avoiding areas where large gatherings/demonstrations may occur.[/quote]

As for whether or not rallies are really dangerous, you never know for sure until they’re over.

[quote=“theposter”]yes, i saw where some people on TV welcomed even lao wai to take part in these rallies (illegal by the way, for most of us) but i would like to bring up a warning:

if what hertzel says is true, TW belongs to the US or at least is under its auspices. what if a-bien doesn’t step down. what if the US raises objections in a way that pisses Tw off? what if this anger is turned against the foreign population here?

think it can’t happen?i beg to differ. mobs have been shown to be wrong most of the time.i’ll be in TP sometime this week and i’m making sure to stay away from areas where these protests are going on.

down with a-bien. the taiwan people are right to ask him to resign. but i hope things don’t get out of hand and get directed toward us.[/quote]

You probably only need to worry if they’ve read any of your posts…

i’m with AIT on this one. stay away from those areas.

by the way, what do you mean by “warden”?

This is scaremongering pure and simple. The protestors from both sides love to see foreigners at their rallies and see their presence as a sign of support and a sign that the world is watching. As long as you don’t go to a green rally in a red shirt and start shouting ‘A-bian xiatai’ or vice versa at a red rally, you will be fine. Go to the rallies and form your own opinion of what is going on.

I thought about wandering down to the protest on Friday night but then realized I had a green shirt on (by accident) and thought better of the idea.

[quote=“theposter”]yes, i saw where some people on TV welcomed even lao wai to take part in these rallies (illegal by the way, for most of us) but i would like to bring up a warning:

if what hertzel says is true, TW belongs to the US or at least is under its auspices. what if a-bien doesn’t step down. what if the US raises objections in a way that pisses Tw off? what if this anger is turned against the foreign population here?

down with a-bien. the taiwan people are right to ask him to resign. but i hope things don’t get out of hand and get directed toward us.[/quote]

Yeah, and if what AC_dropout says is true, TW is part of China. Equally credible views, both based on assumptions and a sense of entitlement on the part of certain parties.

But to address the actual topic, I don’t think you’ll have to worry just yet. If China is provoked into attacking Taiwan and the US doesn’t jump in to defend us, then you’ll probably be the target of a fair amount of resentment, particularly among those who have been led to believe that the US will fight the war for us no matter what.

[quote=“theposter”]i’m with AIT on this one. stay away from those areas.

by the way, what do you mean by “warden”?[/quote]
I have no idea what AIT means by that, but it’s at the top of every aittaipeiacs Yahoogroup email. Maybe it’s some kind of press release they forward. Except for locations and dates, the message itself is always exactly the same.

Well, exhorting people to get involved is definitely a departure from scaremongering. :smiley:

Actually, I’m still amazed that so little political violence has occurred here over the years, even after clear attempts to incite to riot. While I admire your confidence, how can you be certain that nothing ever will turn violent and affect foreigners who happen to get caught in the middle? Mobs can turn ugly, especially when passions run high and they’ve been whipped into a frenzy. Besides, the danger doesn’t usually come from wearing one color in a sea of that color, but when pockets of opposing colors cross each other on the way to or from. And of course not every foreigner in Taiwan is immediately recognized as a foreigner. I used to take a damn the torpedoes approach to attending rallies, but it seems I’m becoming more reclusive in my dotage. In the end it just strikes me as a personal choice.

I’m pretty much in agreement with this. I went up to Taipei a bit yesterday to check it out, and people were extremely friendly to me. A bunch of guys wanted to shake my hand or have me take their picture. It was like a party. Makes me wish I could have made it to their big “siege” (what a strange choice of word, 圍城) on Friday night.

On the other hand, though, I saw a group of people shouting “A-bian xia tai!” at the cars stuck in traffic on Zhongxiao Dong Lu and would go bonkers if anyone flashed them the thumbs-down sign. They were a bit more pumped up, and I got the vibe that they were trying to pick a fight with any pan-green passerbys.

[quote=“theposter”]i’m with AIT on this one. stay away from those areas.

You’re an American that doesn’t know the word ‘warden’ … I hope you’re not an English teacher … :s

Ever heard about prison warden … well this is about the same but than a warden for an area in Taiwan where he or she is responsable for, concerning US citizens :noway:

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“theposter”]i’m with AIT on this one. stay away from those areas.

You’re an American that doesn’t know the word ‘warden’ … I hope you’re not an English teacher … :s

Ever heard about prison warden … well this is about the same but than a warden for an area in Taiwan where he or she is responsable for, concerning US citizens :noway:[/quote]

:smiley: Or the loony bin.

I think you take a certain risk by deciding to attend a political demonstration anywhere, Taiwan included.

However, my feeling here was that there wasn’t any general negative sentiment directed at foreigners, more curiosity.

But I also went strictly as an observer to photograph the events, not to participate. There’s a difference.

Nobody bothered me except for one guy who said in English, “Where is your red shirt?” I think he just wanted to show off his prowess in the English language :laughing:

BP how would i know what “warden” means in this context? of course i know what a prison warden is. i knew a man in church who was a prison warden.

but a warden here? to care for american citizens? AIT assigns this job? so who is warden down here in nantou?

scaremongering?

look! if you’re white and Bush has said something recently that TWese people don’t like, and you’re around that area, better be careful.
there are ALWAYS CHINESE MAFIA AT THESE RALLIES. your choice. me, i’m staying away from these things because i don’t wanna hear “you foriegners caused this! let’s get him” followed by a gang on top of me.

[quote=“theposter”]BP how would i know what “warden” means in this context? of course i know what a prison warden is. i knew a man in church who was a prison warden.

but a warden here? to care for American citizens? AIT assigns this job? so who is warden down here in nantou?[/quote]

No idea, call AIT …

You could be one if you wanted. You get a ward to look after, hence you’re a warden. AIT would give you a list of adogahs in your area who had bothered to register with AIT, and you’d be responsible for making sure they knew where to to take refuge or muster for evacuation, etc.

i might be interested in that. thanks sandy.

Civic minded expatriate citizens prepared to be a contact point in a civil emergency or natural disaster. Other pseudo-embassies have this system. Most western governments try to keep their citizens out of potential trouble spots because sending in the fleet/copters/marines usually costs a lot of money and they may be occupied in other territories.

Nice out there, Ran…oops, I mean whateveryournewusernameis

Haha, that would be the coolest job ever. Can Brits apply? ‘Ok, any Mericans in XinYi? Right, under the table!’

god what a bunch of pussies…worried about getting beat up…im wearing green pants (thats trousers for the brits) and a red shirt and ive got one thumb up and one thumb down…hell im beating meself up…no need for the red guards at all!