Rallies and foriegner bashing/ a danger?

Brits can apply through the BTCO. There’s at least one Forumosan Brit who does it.

I wonder if the Canadians can have wardens as well? I’d like to be one. Can I get a red coat and a horse? Or maybe I could be a concerned warden for the American folks in my area. They would like that, I’m sure.

I wouldn’t set foot near one of those rallies because somebody would take my photograph and try to steal my soul. Or some bing lang munching tough guy would try to force his political views on me and it would piss me off and I would end up being rude. I don’t like crowds.

Hey, the poster, I’m sure they would like to hear you play guitar. A spirited rendition of “West Coast Blues” would really get them going, I’m sure. Learn some mountain “kum bay ya” local stuff and you’d be a hit.

Hm, don’t know if the BTCO would accept me for a position of responsibility, for some reason…

As long as any foreign country doesn’t criticize any of the sides, there’s really no risk to any foreigner at those rallies, at least not in Taipei.

I’ve been at dozens of those rallies - both blue and green ones - as an observer in the past few years, and I’ve never had any trouble. Often there are foreigners actively participating. Many will approach you and practice their English on you, but they always assume you’re there because you’re a supporter - even though in some cases, I certainly wasn’t, but didn’t show that.

On the other hand, if you don’t have to be there for your job, I don’t know why you would want to go there. There are more exciting things in life than shouting slogans and listening to predictable speeches through the din of air horns.

things can get out of hand though it’s not happening so far. it’s also illegal for most of us to get involved in these things, so i’ve heard.

if i went it would be for the chicks. lots of them out there, but i’m not to sure about chicks with such strong political opinions.

Taiwan seems to be pretty split politically . And there is so much passion in politics and anger towards those that are not of the same persuasion politically. Rallys here are very dangerous because individual rights dont exists. And the crowds can and do get unruly. People get hurt.
Unfortunately TAiwan is still a 3rd world country when it comes to politics and is only a rung above a south american nation in that respect if that.

People here need to learn to respect each others views and need to understand that they have a right to express those views. People in America would (for the most part) NOT attack other people who are part of a demonstration. But they do and would in Taiwan !!!

They dont respect each others right to demonstrate and will use force to drown out dissent.

Taiwan has a great ways to go before its people realize that human rights are for everyone and that people have a right to dissent and express dissent. Protests should be held only after itheir approval and no one should resort to violence against someone else who is demonstrating their views.

Iv been in TAiwan for a long time and witnessed all the riots and social upheavals since the Kaohsiung Mei li Tao incident that set the DPP in motion. MObs were paralysing railroad traffic towards the Taipei Station, etc. Yellow RIOT trucks were commonly seen in Taipei and other major cities.

Good thing is the government in TAiwan is much better now at handling riots (unlike China). But i remember many years ago just right after the first Kaohsiung riots , i saw a riot control police action rehersal by the Taiwan military and after the riot police and the barbed wire fences were in place, i saw soldiers with GUNS backing up the police. So at that time they were actually considering using weapons against protestors. IM happy that never happened and that the Police got quite good at generally keeping things under control just with batons and shields and the then ubiquitous yellow RIOT TRUCKS hosing people off their feet.

I do hope Taiwan becomes a first world nation and not just in infrastruture but also politically and artistically. IT should emulate more of the USA and Western European nations as well as Japan in this regard.

Could this perhaps start in the legislative yuan?? Or is that expecting too much??? haha.

Could Taiwanese actually have a lawmaking body that actually treated each other with respect? Sort of like the British parliament? TAiwanese lawmakers are the butt of a great many jokes around the world. One broadcast on a tv station here in the bay area showed the usual going ons and the commentator said to the other “oh they MUST be discussing something of huge importance there for them to be acting that way”. And the other said "no, they are fighting over whether there is enough people attending todays session to even have a vote count ". haha.

And not to mention on some Russian Tv showing some unruly legislators fighing each other in one of those newly minted Russian republikistans commenting while hitting each other "oh this is how they do it in Taiwan, this IS democracy !! " haha there too !!

Could you choose which people you tell? I can see some great possibilties with this… :smiling_imp:

I was at the Guting station on the MRT (on the red line 2 or 3 stops south of taipei main station) on friday night; it was me and my girlfriend and about 500 people wearing red. A guy calls out to me, “hey, can you speak chinese? Do you want one of these bandanas? Watch this…” then he calls out a “down with the president” chant and the entire place responds a couple times… it was pretty cool but also definitely something i wasnt expecting. I didnt really feel threatened at all. I was randomly submerged in a mob without even trying.

By plastic chairs.

Oh, dear. If you’ve been here as long as you say you have then you are in desperate trouble. Me, I suspect you’ve been here all of two weeks.

Especially green nutcases, if you subscribe to Poagao’s post-invasion foreigner threat theory.

Come to think of it, it sounds like you’ve been nowhere near the United States, either.

Compared to some of the other countries in the current events… I’d have to say this was a picnic. :wink:
I do however find it a bit strange that the police here don’t sport any riot gear… 'specially for an event like this.

I happened to be in HK at the last WTO… the cops there… and about 20 bus loads more of them [compared to here] per location…
looked as if they were prepared for war… the press included.

What’s the best caption for this photo from the Taipei Times?

classic :laughing:

[quote=“twocs”]What’s the best caption for this photo from the Taipei Times?

[/quote]

I love how foreigners have been deported for taking part in DPP rallies, yet attending KMT rallies seems to be OK.

How about The blind leading the stupid.

HG

[quote=“Flicka”]
I love how foreigners have been deported for taking part in DPP rallies, yet attending KMT rallies seems to be OK.[/quote]Back in the day, a friend of mine was deported after just walking by a DPP rally. He was just unlucky enough to have his photo taken by the spies and a few days later they showed up at his house and took him straight to the airport. :s

They should deport that guy for the hair and the pink t-shirt. :laughing:

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“twocs”]What’s the best caption for this photo from the Taipei Times?

[/quote]

I love how foreigners have been deported for taking part in DPP rallies, yet attending KMT rallies seems to be OK.[/quote]

After being qouted as attending a rally while under the influence of alcohol then I would say we should lynch this fucker. I mean, how fuckin stupid do you have to be? The minority in the crowd? Is he a complete and utter fool? If you want to make a statement than at least do it where no one can tarnish you. We all know how this place runs…so why give more ammo?

“Givem enough rope to hang’em selves with”

Embaressing to say the least. It’s one thing to get shitfaced at one of the more known spots of debauchery but at a political rally? Does this guy think it’s a joke? What brownie points does he expect to win? Blending in?..I think not.

All common sense seems to fly out the bloody window with us (foreigners) when in Asia. WTF is up with that?

The guy with the pink shirt and funny hair looks like a person of asian descent to me. He has some western features, for sure, but I don’t see what the hubbub is about. Is it not possible that he’s a local or am I missing something? Why do you think he’s drunk, MONSTER?

I am missing a few brain cells so fill me in, OK?

I guess that pretty much answers the question of this thread.

[quote=“twocs”]What’s the best caption for this photo from the Taipei Times?

[/quote]

Poison lead singer Bret Michaels joins the thousands strong protest in Taibei demanding President Chen Shui-Bian’s resignation. “Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song,” said Michaels. “Every rose has its thorn.”

“Mrs. Lee, on right, well known ventriloquist,
demonstrates drinking a glass of water while
making her dummy chant protests and wave his hands.”

(her hand up his ass is not detectable from this camera angle)