Ralph Jennings's Latest Troll Job

Artificial brains threaten to outnumber real ones in Taiwan, as the island’s prowess in artificial intelligence (AI) continues to grow.

Why hasn’t he been fired? He keeps writing fake news.

Fake news sells. Duh…

What’s fake about it?

Can hire engineers cheaper here and less likely to change jobs…Just makes business sense.

I liked the article.

MoFA did a good job pointing out why his article on wages in Taiwan vs Mexico was bunk:

1 Like

12 cents? Whoops!

And this from the article was interesting…

1 Like

The NDC number doesn’t look right to me.
They are claiming average pay is 50k/mth for 2017 across the whole country ? Porkie pies…

Citing figures estimated by job banks in the country, the lawmaker said 70% of young people under 35 years old make less than NT$40,000 a month. He suggested that related government agencies announce figures that can reflect the society, such as average salaries according to age groups.

The minister said she would try to get related data and make them public if possible

However I agree it’s bullshit on Jennings part to use PPP for Mexico and nominal for Taiwan…

His Mexico article was full of shit because the average wage in Mexico is like $600 or something and he indeed used purchasing power to compare. And the $12xx wage was not real average wage, it was this “average regular earning”. When you’re doing comparisons you should compare annual/12. The fact that he didn’t even notice this mistake on methodology makes him a trash journalist.

Btw, no STEM graduates earns only 30k. They get like 700k (annually, some more some less) in first year.

You know what’s funny? Everyone says government statistics are “too high”, but when they word the press release differently to “the average is 6xxk per year”, it’s suddenly “yeah I don’t know anyone who makes less than that after working for a few years”.

You’re wrong, most STEM grads don’t make 700k per year upon graduation. Nope.

Ok not those that study biology. I meant to say engineers.

True. They don’t pay that much at McDonald’s.

1 Like

He should have included a line to how wages were determined or a link to the source but the rebuttal that if you work enough overtime, you can earn a good deal more than workers in Mexico probably isn’t what you want to hang your protest on.