Rand Paul gets the Gas Face

No money for 9/11 first responders what a sap

He’s talking (barely) about this.

From what I read, he didn’t vote to kill the bill. He made a move to vote for funding of the bill instead of writing a check where the funds are not taken from other programs. He wants the money to “shift” to the 9-11 responders. Take away from less important programs.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. The money certainly needs to be made available without delay.

Its inexcusable.

Okay… I’ll risk it.

From 2006-2010, the federal gov’t administered a 5-year $2 billion healthcare fund for 911 first responders.

In 2010, they passed a $4.2 billion program.

Forgive me for asking, but how many first responders are there? 5000? 10000? Is every single one of them in need of this healthcare?

Let’s say there were 10,000 first responders (seems very high to me, but maybe I’m wrong). Let’s also assume that every single one of them is in need of treatment for “health complications related to the 9/11 terrorist attacks” (also seems like a huge assumption). $6 billion divided by 10,000 is $600,000 per person.

Are we meant to assume that every single first-responder has an average of $600,000 in medical expenses due to complications related to the 9/11 terrorist attacks?

What am I missing here?

Maybe some help can be found herein?

Kind of…

There are some reports in there of costs for treatment being $120k/year to $200k/year for individuals with cancer. But surely there can’t be thousands of first-responders who have developed cancer in relation to 9/11, right?