Random acts of Daoism

Tomorrow is the head god’s birthday, and also the day when all the Daoist gods return to earth after being sent away on new year’s eve. There might be random acts of Daoism where you are living, and definitely a lot of firecrackers. Here in BFE the three tan2 on my street will probably start the fireworks at dawn, as tradition requires. Just thought you all might want a heads up.

Ah. That explains 6am.

How do you know which one is the head god? Dirty knees??

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]Ah. That explains 6am.

How do you know which one is the head god? Dirty knees??[/quote]

I found this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Emperor

And:

They also got a photo there :bravo:

Sounds like gunfire in the Gaza here in Temple Town !

The head god is Yu4 Huang2 Da4 Di4, I must have goofed my edit last night and not included it in my original post.
Engerim, you get a cookie for that link. :notworthy:

Happy birthday, boss.

Random acts of Daoism? Huh, should I be careful to make sure that I won’t be married off to some dead guy? :smiley:

So what should I do, to pratice random acts of Daoism.

Burn a buttload of prayer money, whenever and wherever it strikes your fancy! :loco:

6am. You were lucky. It was 4am here in Changhua.[/list]

Tomorrow is the birthday of Tu2 Di4 Gong1, the god of earth and of land/property, and his birthday is February 2nd by the Lunar calendar. He’s one of the higher-ranking gods in the pantheon, so tonight’s forecast is for widely scattered acts of Daoism. I’m not really sure exactly what form the revelry may take, but we had some “screaming mimi”-type fireworks early this morning, and the small temple across the street has set up a big screen in our driveway to entertain him with movies tonight.
Does anyone else have anything to report?

edit 3:30pm: First some loud music, and now a PA is announcing that they’re about to have a puppet show, again, it’s set up in front of our house so that “the god can see it from the inside of the temple”
3:35pm: More fireworks and music.

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]Tomorrow is the birthday of Tu2 Di4 Gong1, the god of earth and of land/property, and his birthday is February 2nd by the Lunar calendar. He’s one of the higher-ranking gods in the pantheon, so tonight’s forecast is for widely scattered acts of Daoism. I’m not really sure exactly what form the revelry may take, but we had some “screaming mimi”-type fireworks early this morning, and the small temple across the street has set up a big screen in our driveway to entertain him with movies tonight.
Does anyone else have anything to report?[/quote]

I have a funeral on Guangfu Road (first section) in Hsinchu to report! Besides that its raining and cold. They keep making music and tamtam noises in the parking lot (great echo) since yesterday noon. As usual the windows are poor (not ‘double glass’ or how you say this in english) and all the noise of outside is inside. Its like a housecall-funeral.

Taiwanese are beloving people. Its hard for them to accept people die so it can take days for them to understand they won’t move anymore (even if you make a lot of tam-tam). I thought about putting loud “AC/DC - Highway To Hell” but I don’t have a stereo.

Got held up on Chunghsiao this afty by a parade that included stripper trucks with titties on display. Cold and nipply.

Neighbors burning crap and setting out food in our lane.

They also had me over for a glass of rice wine…I stole an orange while I was there.

Its all good.

Today is the birthday of Guan1 Yin1, goddess of caring and of childless women. Buddhists also pray to her. pantheon.org/articles/g/guan-yin.html
Here in BFE it’s pretty quiet tonight, both tan2 have their doors closed and no one is out chatting. I think my neighbors must like the drinking, fighting, and meat-eating gods better! :slight_smile: