Random Acts of Stupidity

Sometimes I see stuff happen and I can’t help but wonder why…

Today I saw:

1. An old man push an infant in a stroller into traffic. He wasn’t at a crosswalk, just came out from behind a van, pushing the stroller way out in front of him. The stroller was one of those super-thin wire frames that sits about 5 inches from the ground. Both the stroller and the child were so small that I didn’t even see them until he appeared from behind the van. It was lucky that there was no one beside me or I wouldn’t have been able to swerve out the way in time. The curve on that street is really tight–you can’t even see oncoming traffic when you’re coming around it. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more scared, angry, and relieved all at the same time. And the man didn’t even go back onto the sidewalk after our near miss. He kept on walking the baby across the street so that all the other cars and trucks–on both sides of the road–had to swerve out the way.

2. Later on, at a major intersection, I saw this teenager, maybe 14 or so years old, swinging his leg out into the traffic as it went by and he waited at the light. I couldn’t tell if he was doing lunges for exercise, or just taking wild kicks at the passing scooters, but it was really strange. He nearly got hit three times. Every time he kicked, he went farther out into the intersection until the passing scooters were all pulling themselves into a single line into the far left to avoid his unpredictable movements. I don’t know what he was trying to do. It didn’t look like he was on drugs or mentally disabled or anything. It was just weird.

[quote=“Persephone”]Today I saw:

1. An old man push an infant in a stroller into traffic. He wasn’t at a crosswalk, just came out from behind a van, pushing the stroller way out in front of him. [/quote]

I saw someone do that last week, and it made me shudder. :loco:

i had to swerve to avoid hitting a college-age girl looking through a photo album while crossing the street. i honked after and of course she glared at me because i was at fault

prams and strollers are also known as traffic testers. i think they used to score a full 10 points in the old system. drunks were only worth 2 points, and dogs a lowly ace.

perhaps the actions of some of the older people can be excused on the grounds that they received their traffic training in the days when traffic did consist mostly of push carts, palanquins and pedestrians, but any one looking at a busy Taipei street today can appreciate that those days are long gone.

I should have started writing them down 3 years ago and consolidating when I am retired.

The last act of stupidity (read disgrace) I saw was this weekend where 3 white long nose’s were walking on Bade-Civic boulevard while one was chewing binlang and spitting the red juice all over the place - including parked bikes. Thought I was dreaming till I saw my GF’s face :astonished:
Great guys- congrats ! (it ain’t always the locals )

One time I saw a monkey who had his own alarm clock.

Yep… pedestrians have right of way, even if they are doing strange things. :slight_smile:

Perplexed by the word ‘random’.

I thought the title sounded nice, like “Random Acts of Kindness.”
Plus, the acts seem random to me as I can’t understand why people would commit them. Sometimes people do stupid things and you understand why; this is the thread for those acts of stupidity that are beyond comprehension.

Yep… pedestrians have right of way, even if they are doing strange things. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Yup. What the hell were you doing that you missed seeing her for so long that you had to finally swerve to avoid her? You should learn to drive more safely.
Basic driving – the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way. At least that’s how I was taught.
Edit: Just asked my brother-in-law about this over in Blighty. He laughed uproariously at the very concept of hitting a pedo with a vehicle and NOT getting fucked in the arse sideways by the authorities. Hit a pedestrian = you’re well-fucked, bucko.

People suddenly step out from between parked vehicles or double-parked ones. The fact that there isn’t much time to react is not necessarily the driver’s fault.

One day it was cold in Norman and there was a lady at the employees parking lot standing there and using her ID to open the gate for all the cars. Saving them the trouble of rolling down their windows. Every time she opened the gate she would proclaim, “Random act of kindness!” She did this over and over as I walked by. The thing is, she looked like one of the most unhappiest people in the world. She could have at least smiled.

She was living in Norman. What the HELL did she have to smile about?

That’s true. I think she worked in the registrar’s office which also drives people crazy.

It is. You were too close/driving too fast/etc. Maybe you won’t lose your license but you’ll certainly be hauled up in court and the onus will be on YOU to prove that you weren’t driving negligently. And you’ll find it bloody difficult. My friend smacked a kid who ran out from between two parked cars after his football and he got done. He was driving at below the marked speed limit but should have been going even slower as it was a residential area and there were cars parked along the side of the road.

In 2008, Money Magazine ranked Norman as the 6th best place to live in the United States.

I saw a kid on campus with the sign “Free hugs”
and yet, no body got near him. . .

I saw an older lady in the grocery store. She was 40-ish, had several kids, and must have weighed 300 lbs. Time has not been kind to her.

She was wearing a huge red shirt, upon which was written: “SWEET HONEY GOGKS”!

I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

[quote=“sandman”]Basic driving – the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way. At least that’s how I was taught.
Edit: Just asked my brother-in-law about this over in Blighty. He laughed uproariously at the very concept of hitting a pedo with a vehicle and NOT getting fucked in the arse sideways by the authorities. Hit a pedestrian = you’re well-fucked, bucko.[/quote]
I was taught the same way about pedestrians having the right of way, but Taiwan is a land of contradictions in this respect.

The one and only time I flipped a driver the bird was when I was turning right and yielded to a pedestrian in the crosswalk. A car behind me laid on their horn so I flipped them off. They followed me about a mile or so honking after that, and I just went merrily on my way. Cars rarely yield to pedestrians as they are coming out of parking facilities around where I live.

On the other hand, on the narrow street in JhongHe where my school is located, pedestrians crowd the street giving little notice to cars.

With respect to accidents, my unscientific observations and assumptions lead me to believe that the bigger vehicle is generally held responsible. A car hits a pedestrian who walked out in front of them and the car driver is blamed. A car hits a scooter who pulled out in traffic without looking, the car gets the blame. A bus hits a scooter that was weaving in and out of traffic, and the bus gets the blame. Is this true?

[quote=“Persephone”]Sometimes I see stuff happen and I can’t help but wonder why…

Today I saw:

1. An old man push an infant in a stroller into traffic. He wasn’t at a crosswalk, just came out from behind a van, pushing the stroller way out in front of him. The stroller was one of those super-thin wire frames that sits about 5 inches from the ground. Both the stroller and the child were so small that I didn’t even see them until he appeared from behind the van. It was lucky that there was no one beside me or I wouldn’t have been able to swerve out the way in time. The curve on that street is really tight–you can’t even see oncoming traffic when you’re coming around it. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more scared, angry, and relieved all at the same time. And the man didn’t even go back onto the sidewalk after our near miss. He kept on walking the baby across the street so that all the other cars and trucks–on both sides of the road–had to swerve out the way.

2. Later on, at a major intersection, I saw this teenager, maybe 14 or so years old, swinging his leg out into the traffic as it went by and he waited at the light. I couldn’t tell if he was doing lunges for exercise, or just taking wild kicks at the passing scooters, but it was really strange. He nearly got hit three times. Every time he kicked, he went farther out into the intersection until the passing scooters were all pulling themselves into a single line into the far left to avoid his unpredictable movements. I don’t know what he was trying to do. It didn’t look like he was on drugs or mentally disabled or anything. It was just weird.[/quote]

That’s okay, that strain of stupidity failed to keep itself out of the very dirty gene pool here so nature is just correcting itself through grandpa.