Random Museum Exhibitions

• Salvador Dali art exhibition currently ongoing at CKS Memorial.

• Museum of Failure exhibition, Songshan, from Sweden.

5 Likes

Sounds like my kind of quirky outing. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll be heading to MOCA today. With the start of omicron, I suppose we should enjoy museums while we can!

Guy

1 Like

Ohhh following! I love museums.

Earlier today, I enjoyed visiting the MOCA special exhibit entitled “When Islands Dream.” It’s focused entirely on the outlying islands of Matsu (Beigan and Nangan). A mix of video installations, some photos, and chance to write out (and post) your dreams too. Cost to enter this special exhibit? It’s free.

2 Likes

For this exhibit, they might considering reaching out to the Yen family in Taichung (recently involved in the by-election) to see if they can borrow his tiger costume for this timely show:

Guy

2 Likes

So I just finished touring the Museum of Failure mentioned in the first post. It was one of the most interesting and informative exhibits I’ve ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks @tango42 for letting us know about it.

5 Likes

And Formosa News for covering it.

And I was feeling so good :frowning_face:

Modern Dutch artist Erwin Olaf and also includes Includes classic art from Rijksmuseum.

2 Likes

Love that museum! A great chance to go hang out for a day or more in Taichung.

Guy

“The Stories of Our Periods” will run from Aug. 26 to Sept. 19 at Songshan Cultural and Creative Park in Taipei.

“a free exhibition in Taipei is challenging people to shed the shame of menstruation”

This looks pretty cool.

Guy

3 Likes

Looking for things to check out in Taipei? One possibility is the annual Historical Photo Exhibition put together by the Taipei Public Library, on display now until Wedesday March 13 at Shuxin Hall (æščćżƒæœƒé€š) close to Ximen MRT Station (address: 174-2, Section 1, Zhonghua Road). Here are some photos which are reportedly on display. This looks pretty cool!

Kids in front of the old Beitou TRA Station before it was demolished, making way for the MRT Red Line.

Chunghwa Mall in Ximen before it too was torn down to widen Zhonghua Road, with the TRA line (and later the MRT Blue Line) moved underground.

An aerial shot in the early 1990s of the military dependents village in Taipei City’s Daan District before this community was relocated and this space transformed into Daan Forest Park.

Source: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/5110417

Guy

2 Likes

The Birth of Modernist Art Movement in Taiwan @ National History Museum Taipei (botanical gardens).

I thought this was very good. I went mainly out of historical interest but was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the work. I’m planning a second visit. Not crowded even on a weekend. In the old planetarium building near the Museum. Signs are obvious.

https://event.culture.tw/mocweb/reg/NMH/ExhibitionDetail.init.ctr?actId=40017&utm_source=moc&utm_medium=query&utm_campaign=40017&request_locale=en&useLanguage=en

2 Likes

Good tip! An added bonus would be a walk in the botanical garden. After all these years here, I still think that is Taipei City proper’s best park (Yangmingshan is of course brilliant too in another world . . . ).

Guy

Random small ones in the south

The sex museum. More like a roadside weirdo building.

Tsingtao brewery has a small museum about their brewery. Better than the usual ttl ones, it upsets me to admit.

Green Island jail ones are always frightening.

Anping ficus house in Tainan sometimes has cool ones. Worth a visit regardless of exhibitions.

That’s now part of the National Human Rights Museum. There’s no admission charge. In my humble opinion, everyone in Taiwan should see this.

Guy

1 Like

Absolutely. It makes me a little sad when I go with a certain age group here and they totally miss the mark and say the prisoners were in jail for corruption
 i hope they could somehow make a few more sign posts dumbed down for the old and daft :broken_heart: